Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on this. I thought it might be a cute activity for my 12 year old to do with her dolls. Does anyone have the dimensions on this? Do you think we could make one on our own? Thanks for your thoughts! Megan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I apologize for slightly hijacking your post, but I was also thinking about buying this. What do you do with the house once it's built? Can it somehow be preserved, do you eat it, or do you throw it away?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do not have Samantha's gingerbread house because I've made my own for my dolls. I know that gingerbread can dry out fairly easily, and keep pretty well year after year (at least it does in Utah's dry air).

I don't think you'd want to eat it, the royal icing you use is very hard and not very tasty. Instead pack it up gently and keep it for next year.

And yes, building a mini gingerbread house is very fun, and worth the time! I'll take photos of mine in about a month.

Jessica

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With my girls we have made really cute little gingerbread houses using Graham Crackers instead of gingerbread, with store bought frosting and loads of candy. We take pictures when we're done, then eat it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't have Samantha's house, but I have made traditional gingerbread houses in the past (pre-kids), and I think with kids it's more fun to make edible ones using the sugar cookie or graham cracker method and yummy icing/candy. There are also cute little ornaments shaped like gingerbread houses that would be great for dolls (I would be a little nervous about keeping a real one around for long in my climate).

Kim