Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirsten has arrived..she is beautiful! Also a Question about clothes..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All of Kirsten's dresses are supposed to be from around 1854, though I can't promise they're all accurate. (They're definitely "supposed" to be!)

I don't know any good places, but I'm sure a lot of people will be able to give you pointers! I'm glad you like Kirsten! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't suppose you have any craft shows out there that might sell 18" doll clothes?

(If you just want to look at some nifty pictures, there's a wonderful museum of childrens' clothes at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/muse...rentID=376566# if you'd like to browse for authentic outfits from whatever era. There are two housecoats, one almost identical to Kirsten's, so at least THAT is authentic!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think this person will ship to New Zealand & her work is just beautiful. Here's a link to her Kirsten page. http://www.dolliesdressmaker.com/sto...?category_id=6

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the link to the historical clothing and for the link to the dolls clothes shop That lady does beautiful work BUT..SIGH unfortunatly she has emailed to say it is not worth the effort to send small orders overseas so she will not do it.I am not sure what she means ...you just put more stamps on the package and charge accordingly.LOL.

I am not complaining it is her right not to bother ,just a shame for us who are not American.Maybe she had problems with people paying or something.

Americans make it sound like Russia ,like it is really hard to post overseas or something.We spent two entire days going ALL over St Petersburg in 1998 trying to find one post office that would post over seas..NONE would... they were all only internal.None of our Russian friends could help as they had never posted overseas before!! We ended up taking all our postcards home on the plane.

Just last year we had the same problem in the small town we were staying in while adopting.In the big cities though you now, CAN post overseas so we sent things from Moscow.

Are Post offices hard to navigate in the States?Or , are there not many?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are a lot of options for posting items in the US and I don't think we have trouble sending items anywhere in the world. But if you don't have previous experience it takes a while to figure out. If I were to send something overseas, I would have to go in person to the post office and try and learn how to do it. Also I would want to make sure the item was being tracked and insured. It would also probably cost a lot more. We live in the USA and shipping packages to my brother in Canada is very expensive. The person probably doesn't want to go to all that work for a few dresses when they have no problem selling them to people in the states. There is also the risk that there would be problems having the item delivered or that it would take a really long time.

About dresses for Kirsten, I have the red school dress for Kirsten from American Girl and it is very sturdy and made of a nice thick cotton fabric. It is not at all thin or flimsy like the blue dress she comes in. Perhaps you or another friend or family member can sew, that is also an option for your doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm so thrilled that Kirsten has arrived safely. I knew you would love her!

When Pleasant Rowland started Pleasant Company (the original American Girl) in 1986 she wanted to emphasize the connection between reading and playing with dolls. The first three dolls were Kirsten, Samantha, and Molly. An outfit was designed for each book (six books in all.) Mattel bought the company in 1998. Over time new outfits have been added, but some have also been retired. I hope this explains why the wardrobes aren't extensive.

I do think your best bet would be to either sew or find someone to sew for Kirsten. Three of the major pattern companies -McCalls, Butterick, and Simplicity - make patterns for American Girls. I think they're available in NZ.

Enjoy the world of American Girl!

thepidget

Originally posted by homeschoolMum:
    Are Post offices hard to navigate in the States?Or , are there not many?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think dealing with US post offices is too difficult; however, it's a little bit confusing to ship things internationally. You have to worry about whether certain items can go through foreign customs, you have to look at all the different mailing options that are offered, and international shipping can be quite expensive. But it's just my own opinion, though, that this is a bit daunting to do.

If I ever have to mail packages, it's usually within the US (where I already live), and the process seems a lot more straightforward when you ship things domestically, I think. Once, however, I did have to mail a package to Canada, and although the PO worker was very helpful, the experience did feel more complicated. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you or Grandma sew, or you know someone who does, this McCalls pattern is very appropriate for Kirsten - #3275. And of course if you make your own, you can choose the cotton homespun, flannel, and other sturdy fabrics that Kirsten's mother would have used. See pictures:
    http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3...=crafts&page=8
    Good luck - I think Kirsten is just lovely, and she'll probably be my next!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's an eBay seller with AG items including things for Kirsten that will ship worldwide. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZying1923QQhtZ-1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's another who will ship worldwide. She has Kirsten's work dress. http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Girl-WO...em320044152861
    If you go to the advanced search on eBay in the upper right corner & then enter American Girl Kirsten and below that check the box for sellers that ship to all countries, you will get a list of things for Kirsten from people who will be happy to send them to you. I hope this helps.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ladies
    I recently posted asking about American Girl dolls and Vision Forum ones...well we ordered Kirsten for our oldest daughter Sarah and it has already arrived to New Zealand!!Talk about fast service!
    I have had a look ( it is a Christmas present for Sarah ) and Kirsten is SO beautiful!!Grandma is also very impressed and would like to get some dresses to go with her .
    Where would be the best place to order dresses from the Pioneer days or other long old fashined type dresses( that will stand up to play so not toto flimsy)? I found a site or two but many do not post the dresses overseas and the ones we really wanted is not taking orders for awhile.

American girl itself does not have many of that era...why is that??

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their answers to my last question! I agree American gil dolls are MORE beautiful in real life!!
    God Bless from New Zealand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast