Thread: My next doll inspiration and a good cause....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I received a book called 60 days for 6 million from my Hillel(college Jewish interest club), which is a small book that has 60 short essays about the Holocaust. Inside the book is a card with the name of 1 Holocaust victim, year of birth, job, location, year and place of death. You can go online and find out a little more info about the person.

I thought this would be a perfect thing to make into a doll! The name I got, Rachel Kenigsman lived as a housewife in Lodz, Poland. She was born in 1915 (the same year as my grandma) and died in 1942 in the Lodz Ghetto. Unfortunately I can't find any info on her hair or eye color.

But that would mean she would have been 9 in 1914, which falls perfectly into the AG Historic timeline pattern. She could wear some of Samantha's and Nellie's clothes, maybe something less fancy for everyday like Addy's work dress.

Here's the website for the book/project:
    http://www.60for60.com/

Here's the link for the database of names and the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem:
    http://www.yadvashem.org/

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 02, 2006 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that's a very good and creative idea! Too bad you can't find the hair and eye color. I know it's unlikely, but perhaps you could try and find some of her descendants that might know or have pictures of her?

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 02, 2006 07:35 PM: Message edited by: KimberBee ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great idea! I've often thought AG needed a Jewish historical. Maybe something along the lines of the All-of-a-Kind Family books.

Which AGoT will you use?

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Katie,

I think this is a great idea! And how interesting that Rachel's age in 1914 fits perfectly with Samantha's stories. It is also sad to think about since Rachel was a real person, but I think your idea is a lovely way to remember her.

Aelindil, I loved the All of a Kind Family books when I was growing up! I must have read all of them 5 times each--I'd totally forgotten about those books...I wonder if they're still in print?

Good luck with your project, Katie, and let us know which AGOT you choose!

Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Katie, I think this is an awesome idea! It's too bad you can't find hair and eye color information, but it might be nice to pick an AGT of your choice.

The All of a Kind Family books are still being read, at least at my library! I shelve them every time I go to work! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow. That's an amazing idea. I've been to Yad Vashem twice and it's overwhelming. They have a computer room there where you can look up information about the victims. I don't know about hair and eye color, but maybe you can try to find some resources through their Web site.

Erin

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 02, 2006 10:37 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

MapleLeaf

I really love your idea Katie. The timeline is perfect too. Let us know what doll you decide to pick as Rachel.
    Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by happyAGmommykatie:
    Aelindil, I loved the All of a Kind Family books when I was growing up! I must have read all of them 5 times each--I'd totally forgotten about those books...I wonder if they're still in print?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As far as I know, they still are. I had the first book, but I loved the one all about Ella best. I totally envisioned myself as her!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by sparklyyy:
    Wow. That's an amazing idea. I've been to Yad Vashem twice and it's overwhelming. They have a computer room there where you can look up information about the victims. I don't know about hair and eye color, but maybe you can try to find some resources through Yad Vashem ( http://www.yadvashem.org/ ).

Erin
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I've been to Yad Vashem in person in 2001 and I visited the website recently looking for more info but I couldn't find any physical description info. I even found on the website a copy of the original document submitted some 15 years after her death, but most of it is in Hebrew script which I can't read. I can't read the block lettering either because it's Israeli Hebrew with no vowels. I also Googled her name. Nothing.

Was it more common in 1914 to have bangs or not? I do think she'll probably have brown or dark hair. AGT 23 or even AGT 25 are possibilities. I also want to see how Nicki looks before making a decision. If I do get Nicki I would want the doll to not look just like her. Although Nicki could make a good Rachel, if she has long curly hair like I've heard from some rumors. But then I wouldn't be able to have Nicki as Nicki. Hmmmm...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love your idea. I know it's not the same but I grew up during the Viet Nam war. I had(still have) a POW bracelet. My guy was Lt. Col. Sandy Sanderson and he was MIA. I played Barbie and G.I. Joe with the boy across the street. Barbie was always married to Sandy who was away at war. It's been many years but I still think of him often. To my knowledge he was never found. Through play we can keep history alive and pay tribute to others. I hope you can find the perfect doll for your project.