Thread: Mysterious Spots Appear! Mystery Solved!!

Polly Marie
    I bought a #15 AGOT doll from eBay about a month ago. Her face looked fine with no scratches or marks when I received the doll. ------But all of a sudden her face has developed two black(maybe with a touch of blue) marks on her face. The doll's face has not been near anything that would make these marks!
    One mark is near her eyebrow and looking closely that eyebrow seems lighter than the other one. I believe that past marks may have been removed before I got her from eBay.

[img]confused.gif[/img]
    My question is----------Can a doll have marks seemingly removed from her vinyl surface but later the dye/ink resurfaces?
    *******<font color="blue">I thank the people that responded to this post. I was just about ready to write the seller, but I think I found out what caused the marks! Since both of them were near the left eyebrow, I examined the brow more carefully. It looks like the seller had enhanced the color of the brow with a black eyebrow pencil or color marker. As I was dressing the doll , the eyebrow color must have smeared! The marks came off with just one application of Oxy lotion.</font> [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 28, 2006 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Polly Marie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting question. Hmmm...

It seems like it could happen. Maybe the marks were removed on the surface with OXY10 or a magic eraser but they were still down below the surface.
    That seems to happen with carpet cleaning. Sometimes, the stains will appear removed but then resurface in the same way a month or two later. I asked my carpet cleaner about that and he said that stains were only masked and removed from the surface with cleaners like Resolve and that eventually, they will reappear.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would contact AG about a replacement. If you didn't cause the marks - and if you just bought the doll from them - they should stand behind it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nevermind, I just re-read your post and I read you bought her from eBay.

A lady at the doll shop I go to told me that vinyl looks solid, but in actuality is always in movement - that is why it's hard to get ink off of vinyl. It is also the reason Oxy10 works.

So, I believe that the previous owner believed she removed the mark, but it can re-surface at a later time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's too bad! You know, I think I'd try emailing the previous owner and asking her (in a nice, non-accusatory way) if this is a new mark or a re-surfacing one. If it's a re-surfacing mark, then you could try treating it yourself, but if it's a new mark maybe it is a factory flaw of some kind. American Girl would take care of that for you I would think, if it's a flaw. The other thing I would want to know is if she treated the spots before, what product did she use? If she didn't use a strong enough stain lifter, you could try upping the anty!

Let us know how it all works out!

Polly Marie

Bump up---Solution written into first post. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad you found the cause and such a simple solution, Polly Marie! Don't you love the things we learn on this board? [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for "solving the mystery." [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]