Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

So, this is actually starting to bug me. Why are retired items still on AG's website? Example, Addy is still sitting on the Cutter sled, which was retired by now over a year ago. In her summer outfit she if pictured still holding the gardening supplies, which are now retired. It is almost like a tease, it is an even bigger tease when in the description for the item says "Basket and vegetables sold separately as part of Gardening Supplies."

Why not update the pictures a little bit. Is photoshop that hard to handle? We know they use it after seeing some of the updated photos of the Today girls when the new outfits were introduced. Why are they doing this?

*AG Star*

It bugs me too! [img]mad.gif[/img] Especially the little booklets that used to come with the outfits that would have a picture of the outfit, but also lots of retired accessories, furniture, etc. I don't see why it would take so long to take a new picture of the outfit without the retired things, either. We take pictures of our dolls all the time here on HB! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My only answer is to save money. They put a little note that the sled is no longer available or something like that.

Of course they have to do photo shoots for the new outfits, what else?

I certainly understand you point and have thought it myself. My only defense of AG is that we wouldn't be happy if they raised the prices.

On the upside, by keeping those pictures around you know what to look for on eBay or wherever you buy discontinued products.

So in summary, I agree with you, but you asked what they were thinking and I'm just trying to play "Devil's Advocate" or see the other side.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It bothers me, too. They could atleast say "Sorry, this item is unavailable" or something along those lines on the page for those items.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If they used Photoshop to remove elements that are actually touching the doll, it would probably come out looking very bad; a VERY skilled person can do great things with Photoshop, but usually when companies remove items in Photoshop, it's pretty evident that some work was done on the picture.

(It is very disappointing to see things pictured that you can't have, though; even the note doesn't make me feel too much better. [img]frown.gif[/img] )

horselvr2

Originally posted by craftycarol51:
    My only answer is to save money. They put a little note that the sled is no longer available or something like that.

Of course they have to do photo shoots for the new outfits, what else?

I certainly understand you point and have thought it myself. My only defense of AG is that we wouldn't be happy if they raised the prices.

On the upside, by keeping those pictures around you know what to look for on eBay or wherever you buy discontinued products.

So in summary, I agree with you, but you asked what they were thinking and I'm just trying to play "Devil's Advocate" or see the other side.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, it's probley just to save money. (IMO, it seems like Mattel only cares about the money *sigh*).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's foolish of AG to keep showing retired items, however much money they may save on new photo shoots or printing. Customers get excited about something, find out they can't have it and end up frustrated and annoyed.