Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all --

I really love Kit's collection, but I'm not a huge fan of her table/chairs set (although I'm sure some of you have Kit's-table-and-chairs-make-me-drool photos just waiting for me!). I want to get tables and chairs to match her collection, and that are consistent with that time period. Anyone here knowledgeable about 30's decor or Kit's stories, and have some furniture ideas? Thanks!

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone? [img]frown.gif[/img]

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

30's style dining tables can be Duncan Phyfe looking, you know, dark, formal, with curved legs. Kitchen tables could be the wooden gate-leg type, or have an enameled metal top, probably white. I think the painted gate-leg kitchen table would be fun. Then it would have simple, painted wood "country" chairs. I wouldn't think Kit's family could afford to have any brand-new furniture.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a great question! My first instinct would be Molly's old drop-leaf table; I think it's cute! I don't have any Kit books in front of me, but it seems a pretty logical choice.

A Google search for 1930s kitchen tables comes up with a LOT that are lacquered or enameled or painted metal--white, with a black or occasionally red design. They appear to be very common; most of the hits for "1930s kitchen table" are about a table that fits that description! I think you'd have to make your own. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/fur/227409065.html had a couple pictures. If you get a plain-ish table, or one with a single drawer, you could probably make the top yourself, though, especially since it's for dolls.

(I like how Kit's table and chairs work, but it strikes me as outdoor furniture, which only works if you want your dolls to eat their meals outdoors! Or of course if you have more than one set of tables and chairs.)

Good luck; I'm looking forward to hearing other ideas!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you! You've given me some really helpful ideas. Sometimes I don't love the AG items, they're too expensive, or I want to be creative and make my own! It helps to have a bit of information about the styles, decor, etc., to be historically accurate but also have a little fun. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    That's a great question! My first instinct would be Molly's old drop-leaf table; I think it's cute! I don't have any Kit books in front of me, but it seems a pretty logical choice.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I was thinking too! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    If you end up making your own, there is a book about making wood furniture for 18" dolls.
    On Amazon.com
    I hope this helps.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a link to see all of the items availble in the book:
    InfiniteFreedom.com