Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom always tells me I'm told old for AG! I can't state my age but hopefully I can say, I'm very close to the cut off date. I hate when she says that because its a true passion! I can't help but get really mad or cry when she say that. I don't know how to deal with this. Has anyone else had this problem? It's a huge deal to me. I've been collecting since I was 9! I know all of you get this connection to your dolls, like me! As if they're real! Please help me with my problem! I need to get my mom to stop saying that stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's no such thing as being "too old" in my opinion. Just explain to your mom that you really like AG and you don't like it when she says you are "too old" to like dolls. Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Show your mom this message board....

I'm 25 and AG items are still the number one this on my wishlist. This board was originally created for the early fans of AG who mever outgrew them so most of us are in our 20s! [img]smile.gif[/img] I got my first at age 9. Two months later, my mom bought one for herself. There is no such thing as an age limit! And you are very lucky to have this board...when I was a teen, I didn't know a soul my own age who still played with AG, and it was very lonely for a while.

felicitygirl1774

My mom told me the same thing. My personal opinion is that no one is "too old" to love AGs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm 35 soon to be 36 I guess if you are younger then me then you are still good to go

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would show her this board like AngieBelle suggested, maybe even this thread if you want to. Tell her there are all ages here from junior high and high school to grandma age. I'm turning 50 next year (but not a grandma yet!) and I know some of our ages go even higher than that. So there's definitely no age limit and you are definitely never too old for dolls! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I'm 23 and just bought Kaya yesterday at AGPC and no one there seemed to think it odd so I don't think you have anything to worry about. My mom's only comment on my doll purchase was to comment on how I didn't take very good care of the dolls I'd had as a girl and how she was amazed I was able to now. (I wasn't a very gentle girl)

She thought it was a little weird when I first started recollecting but now she's really helpful about my collecting, helping me look for outfits and pointing out things in doll size that would be cute.

I think she figures that I could be collecting a lot worse things and I make sure not to spend too much money on doll stuff, maybe a few outfits a year or for very special stuff (Kaya was a gift to myself for losing a lot of weight over the summer and when I double the ammount I lost I might be getting another doll but that will be a long while away so I don't feel too badly about it)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am 26 and I got into collecting these dolls around age 22. I remember when I was about 12 or 13 deciding that dolls were too babyish and putting them away. That didn't last long. It was about age 16 or 17 when I became nostalgic for some of my toys that I loved as a child (My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Cabbage Patch Kids, Care Bears) and dug them out of the basement. Luckily I had kept most of them stored away with the exception of most of my older ponies and my cabbage patch dolls. Then I discovered eBay and began buying all the little ponies I had or had wanted as a child. Sorry to ramble, my point is that if you try to stifle your love for dolls, it will come back. If you like them, keep them no matter what your mom says. They are your dolls and whatever money you earn belongs to you, so spend it on AG if that is what you like. Just be yourself and people will respect you for that. Just because you like dolls does not mean you are a child. I think parents sometimes worry that holding on to childhood toys or playing means that you are not developing into an adult. But they are just things and are not a reflection of your state of development. I still have fun dressing and doing hair on my dolls and I even make them talk sometimes and carry them around the house. That does not mean I'm crazy. On the contrary, I am a very intelligent college graduate who holds down a job and functions like any other adult. Tell your mom to read this and stop worrying!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Honey, I just turned 49 and purchased my 2nd American Girl doll. As others have stated here, there's no age limit to collecting dolls. It's a hobby. (And if $$ were no object, a HUMONGOUS hobby for most of us here, LOL!)

You're very upset with your mother's opinion, because, she's your MOTHER, and of course, (at your age especially) you seek her approval. When she does not agree, you question your own opinions. Parents guidance is of the utmost importance when it comes to your safety and values, but hobbies are a minor issue. I used to love to collect Beatles memorabilia, and my mother would never indulge that hobby for me at Christmas or my birthdays, because she didn't like them. She'd roll her eyes. I'd get frustrated too, because she didn't seem to respect the fact that THAT was what I liked to receive for presents, etc. Hey though, it didn't stop my passion, and I just saved money on the side whenever I wished to purchase posters, records. Guess what, I'm still a Beatles fan, but my $$ goes to AG instead.

You're not going to change your mother. Her mind is made up. BUT, don't ever let that stop you from your enjoyment. Accept that 'hey I love AGs, but my mom thinks I'm too old. Oh well, there are hundreds of doll collectors much older than me who se hobbies are AGs. That's a difference between my mom and me.

Anytime you want support sweetie, come post here. We're with you. (If it makes you feel any better, my 'godmother' wouldn't buy her SEVEN year-old a baby doll. 'You're too old for dolls! she said. Very sad. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] I loved my godmother, (she has a heart of gold) but vehemently disagreed with her.

Some women just don't understand our love of dolls, the way we can't understand others who like to collect 'stamps or coins.'

Hang in there! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast