Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much everyone! I especially liked one post that said at my age I seek for my mom's approval. I very much agree and I shouldn't stop liking dolls just because my mom thinks I shouldn't.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should ask her nicely what you SHOULD be interested in at your AG - clothes, make up, boys? I worked in a pediatrician's office, and I noticed the girls whose mothers told them they were "too old" for dolls usually wound up growing up too fast and getting into trouble.

The truth is, you are never too old for toys - all adults play, but they just don't admit it! What are sports? Playing. Dance? Playing. Collecting plates? Playing. Building model trains? Playing. Everyone needs a hobby, just because yours started as a little girl doesn't mean you have to give it up [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh Sweetie, I'm sorry your Mom is making you feel bad about your decision to love and collect AG Dolls.

I started collecting AG Dolls in 1989 when I received Samantha for Christmas that year. Around the time I was 12 I decided that I was to old to play with my dolls. So my AG things sat in a part of my room and for a few years I barely touched them. At some point in my teens I started to look at and play with my AG Doll things again but not too often. Then after high school I moved and all my Doll things were packed up. Recently I had to get all of my things out of storage which included my AG Dolls and things. And I've never been so excited to see them! I just had my 25 birthday and I'm just as excited about AG as I was when I first found out about AG in 1989! When I started to get back involved with AG I worried that I was too old for Dolls and people would think I'm silly or crazy. But you know, I have my bachelors degree from a private college, I have a good job and I just won't let anyone make me feel gulity about collecting AG Dolls.

I really hope your Mom will understand your love of AG Dolls. I understand that it's important to you that she understands, and I really hope she will make an effort. Maybe like the other girls said if she looks at this board it may help because she will see how many of us that are in our 20's or older. What about a Mother, daughter trip to one of the AG Places. She could see first hand how their is collectors at all different ages all in one store running around being excited about the dolls. Good luck with everything!

Inactive Member QueenNellieElizabeth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just started high school and got Emily in september and my mam asked me if I really wanted her. My mam thought that I was a little old but I dont really care and I basicly tell her that it's a hobby.
    I do agree with everyone to show you mom this board and see all the diffrent age groups.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As long as my DD asks for dolls, she will get them. You are not too old! Tons of adults collect and play with dolls.
    Better than the alternatives that are out there for young girls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're never too old for dolls!!!

I was very fortunate that my mother was a doll lover and never told me I was too old.

I'm also a doll lover and so is my daughter. She's 11 and just started the 6th grade. She still loves her dolls, but hardly any of her friends have anything to do with dolls anymore. She told me the other day that even if she stopped playing with her dolls, she was not going to quit collecting.

So don't feel like you're too old. Perhaps you could share this post with your mother.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I totally agree with dalmation101, I will buy my DD dolls as long as she asked for them. And I do have to admit that I love them just as much as she does. Currently she has 12 AG dolls, and Christmas is coming soon [img]redface.gif[/img] Tell your mom excactly how you feel. Explain that this is something you really do love, and plan to collect for years to come. My DD is 9, she tells her grandma (who insists that the dolls are too expensive, ect) that these dolls will be her little girls someday [img]smile.gif[/img] I love the thought that the memories we are making now as mother/daughter will someday be the same memories my daughter/grand daughter create together. Maybe your mom, will understand your feelings better if you tell her everything you are feeling. Good luck!

Inactive Member QueenNellieElizabeth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was this one girl who I used to be kinda friends with and we took Horse lessons together and one time she had me over to play and we where 11 and she also has AG's so we played with them and her Polly Pockets and her mam said that it was nice to have someone who still likes to play. And to think her other friends didn't like to play and we where only 11. It's sad that people think that when your 11 or whatever your to old for dolls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree that there is no such thing as a "cut off age." I am 43 and love dolls. I do have a 6th grade 11 year old daughter and hope she doesn't start feeling too old for dolls. However, I don't want to push my love of dolls on her if she does want to take a break from doll play/collecting. So far, she still loves AG and so do her friends, yipee!

I remember going through a phase from about 14-23 where I wasn't interested in dolls or any toys. Then I started having my own family and remember why I loved dolls and toys. I never really thought dolls were babyish, I just became interested and busy with other things like boys, school activities and jobs.

Maybe your Mom is worried that she will buy you these expensive dolls and that very soon, they will just sit in your closet. She may feel that she knows better than you about girls growing up and losing interest. She might also be worried that your peers will make fun of you if you collect and play with dolls.

I think that AG is special in that a lot of people don't ever lose interest or they just take a short break from collecting AG. If you make your Mom aware that AG can be a lifelong pastime that is even passed down to the next generation, she may start to feel different. If you continue to play with your AGs, take care of them, change their clothes, etc., she will see that you still love them and are not getting too old. If you have a normal social life with your friends and doll collecting doesn't hold you back, your Mom may be more inclined to accept your doll interest.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As long as DollsforaDoll's mom doesn't FORBID her to buy AGs and items, I don't think there's any need for her to try and convince her mother otherwise. We could go on all day about how we don't think our own daughters are ever too old, but how does that help her situation? Sometimes it only creates more tension and feelings of resentment. Unless her mother initiates the discussion about her 'being too old,' I think it's better that she just accept that as a difference between them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hugs for you Dollsforadoll! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast