Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I read Molly's books before the movie?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Judi, my vote is read them! I would read at least Meet Molly, Happy Birthday Molly (the book that introduces Emily), and Changes for Molly (the book that talks about the Miss Victory performance). That way you will at least know the characters and situations that will be in the movie. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes, we know that there will be changes; but there always are when books are transscribed into something suitable and dramatic enough for the screen. That's just the way it is! I just happen to be one of those who think it is important to know the original story first. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After reading the board last night, I got busy reading the Molly Story Collection. This is the larger, discontinued book that has all 6 stories combined. What's nice about the Story Collection books is that the paper is very thick and nice quality. There is a satin ribbon to mark your place and gold leaf on the page edges. It is really a pretty and finely crafted book.

I read Meet Molly, Molly's School Story and her Christmas Story. I still haven't come across Emily, yet. I will have to keep reading.
    So far, I like the stories.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm so glad you're reading Molly's stories!

When I first got into American Girl there were only 5 historical dolls: Felicity, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, and Molly. Molly was my least favorite until I read her books. She then jumped to the top of the list.

My daughter has always chosen her dolls based on their books. I remember that neither of us were very interested in Kit. After reading her books, Kit was the first AG historical chosen by my daughter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would read the books ahead of time. Think about how many people read them before there was even a thought of a movie.

Sure, there will be some changes, you will be able to pick them out. You will probably realize why they changed it (interest, to keep the story flowing, etc.) and enjoy the changes for what they are.

I have read all the books. When Samantha first came out I didn't like the changes, but then I realized that some of the things that happened wouldn't be interesting on film.

I really liked some of the changes. Nellie did find Eddie's penny jar in the book, but the part of Samantha putting it in the church offering was something added to the movie - and I think it was one of my favorite scenes.

Enjoy the books, enjoy the movie - just realize they are two different forms of entertainment.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by craftycarol51:

Enjoy the books, enjoy the movie - just realize they are two different forms of entertainment.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the good advise. I think you're right.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm in the minority here as I prefer to see a movie first, THEN read the book. If I read books first, then see the movie, I end up thinking, 'wait a minute, this isn't the way it happened, or 'wait a minute, they forgot..' Also, one's really makes use of their imagination while reading a book, whereas the movie everything is 'done for you,' never to your expectations.

On the other hand, AG books might be an exception, as I think the Samantha and Felicity movies were great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12