Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downy Dunk Question

emsmombuysdolls

Since I will soon have a fixer upper in the mail (thanks AG Seamstress!)will someone please post detailed directions/advice on the Downy Dunk and hair steaming. I can't find it in the stickies, but I will admit that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Me too, I need the directions too, for whoever can help us.
    THANKS!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat. I have a gorgeous Samantha doll for my daughter, but she's circa 1989, and has really dry hair. Will this treatment help make it silky smooth again?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Someone did have a tutorial with pictures, but I don't remember who. This is what I do.
    I first wrap my doll's body with that Cling Wrap, that sticks to itself, so the fabric doesn't get wet. Then, you can shampoo with a wig shampoo, if the hair is really dirty, or just soak in full strength, unscented Downy liquid fabric softener. Be careful not to get the eyes wet. They will rust. Someone told me to use painters tape over the eyes, but you would have to make sure it's the kind that wouldn't take off the paint on the eyelids, or eyebrows. I usually soak overnight, or at least for a couple of hours. Work the softener in really good, then rinse really good. Comb out very gently with a wig brush, AG brush, or dog brush! Let the hair air dry. To make it shiny again, you need to steam it. Steaming is done with a clothes steamer that is PLASTIC. You don't want to use a metal one. These are available online at the "Seen on TV" website, for about $10. I don't know if you can find them in the stores, but look at it on the website, to see what it looks like. I'll check if I still have the link. After steaming, you can even use a curling iron if it has a low setting. I got a Kit doll, who's hair had been crimped, with a crimping iron. I just steamed it, and then used the curling iron. I'll post her finished picture. I don't have a before photo.
    Hope this helps.

http://www.asseenontvandmore.com/bsteamquicst.html

This is the steamer link.

This is Kit after steaming and curling.

I know others might use different shampoos, and maybe slightly different methods. Please feel free to add any additional information.

McMasters

Along the same line... What can be done with Lindsey's hair to make it softer? It seems difficult to get her hair in Downy. Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

THANKS AGSEAMSTRESS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok- two problems. I tried the Downy dunk on my old Molly doll as a test run, and, even though I wrapped her in plastic wrap, her body got wet. Is that ok? Should I do anything about it? I also don't have a dog hairbrush, or an AG one. Could I use a little comb or hairbrush and just go gently?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

raindrops..........Use Glad Cling Wrap. It sticks to itself, and to the vinyl. I wrap the dolls' body like a mummy,really tight around the neck, and I've never had one get wet.
    This way, if your hands are wet you can pick up the doll and not worry.
    You really don't want to use a comb. The wig brush, AG brush, and dog brush, all have wire teeth. This is really the only type of brush you should ever use on the dolls hair.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These wigs really need to be combed/brushed with a wire brush. I'm not sure what will happen with a regular brush or comb. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can tell you what happens, messy hair happens (wanted to use a better word but it would have been all stars).

I didn't know about the wire brush and used plastic combs on my DD's doll and ruined it.

Many years later and this board, I found Joys detailed instruction on how to wash and downey my dolls hair.

The instruction are in the stickys at the top of the page, can't remember which one, sorry bad memory, but it's wonderful and very helpful.

Yes a steamer is great but you can do it without, I have done two dolls, and the first one, with hair so bad you couldn't get your fingers through it, I used a flat iron to smooth it and straighten. She looks wonderful, minus the little curl she had.

She's the dolly with two blond pony tails. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast