Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Question about Addy's undies--when you put the hoop on under her dresses, is she supposed to wear the pantalettes too? The hoop makes the skirt so wide that the hem is raised considerably, and a lot of the pantalettes show. I think it looks bad that way. But I don't know if the "real" Addy would have gone without pantalettes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Addy wears the pantalettes. I don't put the petticoat on with the hoopskirt because that is longer than the hem of all of her dresses. You might try tying the hoop skirt above Addy's waist so the hoop doesn't stick out.

Anne Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm,my Addy wears her pantaletts and the petticoat from the undies set;I save the 'hoop' for her christmas and b-day dresses(since in rl she wouldn't have worn the 'hoop'every day).

Yeah try tying the hoop a little higher up on her waist,so it won't stick out on the bottom.

Can you imagine trying to sit in that thing????? Or ride a streetcar [img]eek.gif[/img]

-Sarah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My problem isn't that the hoop or petticoat shows (although it takes some doing to keep them hidden), but rather just that when the hoop is on, so much of her pantalettes show below the hem of the skirt that it looks bad, because the hem of the dress is raised so much by the hoop (which it would be even if I tied the hoop up higher).

Yeah, I wouldn't want to try getting around or sitting down while wearing a hoop!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the pantalettes are suppossed to show I think.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Woo-hoo a historical fashion question I actually know the answer to! [img]wink.gif[/img]

I do Civil War renactments and as far as pantaloons go girls would have worn them every day. I know when we see these fancy pantaloons we think of wearing like panties underneath, but that's not the case. You have to remember that those pantaloons are the equivilent of underpants. I mean the average person does not go without underwear each day...
    It would have been fashionable during the time to wear pantaloons that peeked out of the dresses, but not in all situations. I'm not sure because of her socio-economic status if she would have done this anyway. it was typically an upperclass white thing to do. After the age of 12 NO girl's pantaloons would EVER show -- very scandalous [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ann Kirstin:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to try getting around or sitting down while wearing a hoop!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hoops aren't really the problem, they're actually very flexible and when you sit they kind of 'retract'. Reminds me of those little foldable cups they used to have. Corsets and starched petticoats on the other hand are quite a different story. Slouch one little bit when sitting down or getting up and you get a sharp poke in the ribs. OUCH!! and then the petticoats are so stiff that they scratch your legs...not fun to get used to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had an actress friend who owned a hoop skirt I tried it on felt weird but yes it does fall straight when you sit but it still isn't comfortable. As for my Addy since she only wears the pink outfit at this time I just have here wearing the pedicoat and not the hoop. Although you have to say that outfit is (unlike Samantha [img]biggrin.gif[/img] )proabaly nice without clothing. Personly I think the pedcoat should have been made white like they did in the books.