Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM Samantha for sale, and the story behind her.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

About last February or so, another board member had her DD's Samantha's head replaced at the AG Hospital (it had mysterious pink stains on the face), and lamented to the board how much the original's soft eyelashes would be missed. I suggested that she call CS to request the old head be sent back to her, which she did. Lo and behold, the CS rep said that they NEVER sent back unattached heads under any circumstances, even though many board members have had them sent back, right along. After much calling back and forth, nail-biting, and lots of red-tape hoo-hah, she did indeed receive the old head back from the AG Hospital, along with the newly-healed and rejuvenated doll.
    She kindly sold the head to me to help defray her doll's "medical expenses". "I know you'll give her a good home," she said.

I proceeded to treat the stains and recondition the hair, which was a little "woolly", but not bad, especially for such a well-loved and gently played-with doll. The stains came out very nicely, and the hair turned out beautifully, too; especially after re-curling with steam. Lovely!

Next, I was able to acquire a complete (except for head) PM body in a "will-restring-for-parts" deal with yet another board member. I restrung all the limbs, and replaced the stuffing with a good quality polyester fiberfill ( the stuffing wasn't the original, and was kind of lumped-up.), and replaced the missing neckstring. The cloth body itself had 3 tiny rust-like spots on it, but was otherwise pretty clean, so the spots didn't bother me. "Ah," I thought, "Now I'll have a PM Samantha of my very own!"

But alas! It was not to be--after uniting the lovely PM head with the authentic PM body--the magic just didn't happen for me. I have given it my best, but I just cannot bond with her.

Maybe it's because I really love my Mattel Sam, and her new sister Nellie, and another Samantha would seem like either an outsider or a betrayal. Maybe it's the fact that she's spent so long as a disembodied head in my room. Maybe it's that what-took-you-so-long look in her eyes...(no, stop imagining things and get a grip, Robin...)

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, whatever the reason, I'm offering her first to the board (with the original head owner's blessing), before I list her on ebay sometime next week.

Here is her album:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2106231228

I'm asking $65 plus actual shipping--I hope someone on the board will adopt her, and give her a good home! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. From a smoke-free home, of course! Any questions, just post, or PM me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 20, 2006 10:42 PM: Message edited by: AsianAG ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She's awfully pretty, but I already have two Samanthas as it is...speaking of which, why don't you give YOUR Samantha a twin sister, Robin? I'm sure this pretty girl doesn't really want to leave. Who says HER name is Samantha?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hehe PrincessRuthie, I agree! I wish I had some extra money right now, she really is gorgeous. You did an excellent job!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 20, 2006 11:47 PM: Message edited by: ColonialGirl ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ANOTHER twin?!! I can see DH rolling his eyes right now! [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]

Actually, I already have 2 Kirstens, 2 Felicity's, 2 Asian AGT's (1 PM, 1 Mattel) and 3 blonde AGT's--I really think that's enough duplication amongst my collection, especially since I intend to get another doll at AGPLA next month.... [img]redface.gif[/img]
    (And don't even ask what DH thinks!)

For a long time, I thought I wanted a PM Samantha (since I think of myself as a PM enthusiast), but it turns out that I'm already bonded to the Mattel Samantha facemold--how weird is that? Not to mention kind of embarrassing......

I also think it wouldn't be fair to this Samantha--she deserves a home where she will be loved for herself, not just as another version of a already-owned doll.

If no one on the board wants her, I'll make her a pretty dress and list her on ebay next weekend; and hopefully PM Samantha will find a home at last. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bump! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kit 1934, you're fairly new here, so you probably aren't aware of how , in the past, I have loud and long proclaimed the superiority of Pre-Mattel dolls over Mattels.
    However, I have since come around to liking the Mattel dolls pretty well too---but this is the first time I can recall PREFERRING a Mattel doll to a PM.

So that's just a little bit embarrassing for me--but the lesson here is never to proclaim an absolute; you just may change your mind one day! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She is gorgeous!!! Good luck with the sale. I hope she gets a terrific new home and lots of love!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love her story and wish you wonderful luck selling her! If I had any desire for a Samantha I would absolutely buy her from you. [img]redface.gif[/img] And good for you trying to find a place she'll be appreciated instead of trying to force a bonding that isn't happening!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ashley1972

Originally posted by AsianAG:
    Kit 1934, you're fairly new here, so you probably aren't aware of how , in the past, I have loud and long proclaimed the superiority of Pre-Mattel dolls over Mattels.
    However, I have since come around to liking the Mattel dolls pretty well too---but this is the first time I can recall PREFERRING a Mattel doll to a PM.

So that's just a little bit embarrassing for me--but the lesson here is never to proclaim an absolute; you just may change your mind one day! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Robin, I used to prefer PM dolls over the Mattel dolls because I thought they were more lovable and huggable because of the softer vinyl. I didn't like the way the Mattel dolls legs banged together and made a clackety clack sound. What I have realized is that I never bonded with Mattel dolls before because they belonged to DD. Now that I have my own I love them just as much and feel that there are some things I like about both PM and Mattel dolls.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 21, 2006 11:16 PM: Message edited by: AGMom2 ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast