Thread: Why does Xfinity keep disconnecting?

Senior Hostboard Member JohnStaples's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Why does Xfinity keep disconnecting?

Once of the major problems with Xfinity is the unreliable cable modems they provide. The $100 investment in a new modem with pay itself off in about a year of no modem rental and help you keep your sanity. These days the cable modem standards are pretty stable and capable of speed much faster there currently in use, so buying a good modem should be a investment that should last at least 5 years.

The second most common issue is the cable running from outside to the modem. Often the cable has been cut and spliced one or more times from where it comes in to where it connects to the modem. The may also be one of more splitters in the line as well. Every splitter reduces the signal level significantly and every splice reduces it a small amount. If you are using cable for TV and well as Internet then you will have to live with at least one splitter. However you never want more than 1 splitter between the source and the modem. Replacing coaxial cable that has be spliced or corroded can make a huge different.

A word of caution: Don’t bother with cheap crimpers or cable if you decided to run new cable yourself. Use a racheting crimp tool that does not flex under pressure and connectors with a deep and heavy collar. Buy extra’s as you might go through a few getting it right if you have not done it before. A good crimp tool can be had for around $40–60, no need to pay $100 or more.

Luckily Xfinity can be some help in this area. Call customer service when you are having and problem and ask them to check the signal levels to the modem for you. They can give you a good idea if the signals levels are below par. They will also gives you some good suggestions like making sure the cables are all tight. Don’t expect them to be too helpful on the average, but sometimes you will get someone who really cares and will do everything they can for you.

If low signal levels are a problem and you don’t want to try fixing yourself, XFinity will come and and replace the line for you for a fee. If the line is bad enough to warrant it they may also do it for free.

Senior Hostboard Member dertaika's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Why does Xfinity keep disconnecting?

Need your opinion!
    When I bought the Xfinity Box, I did not think that I would have any problem with it. But still, sometimes they do. Xfinity Box just simply did not work, I tried to understand the reason for a long time, it didn’t work out, in desperation, I googled and came across article 4 Fixes For Xfinity Box Not Working, after 10 minutes everything worked, everything turned out to be so easy.