Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is there a special way to clean AG doll clothes? Or is it safe to just put them in the washing machine on a low setting? I also have Addy's quilt that has some marks where the red fabric dye ran into the white parts. How could I get that off? Thanks in advance!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am wondering this too. I think on the tag it tells you if you're supposed to "hand wash in cold water" or something, but if someone has the time I would really appreciate more detailed instructions. A couple of my dolls' white clothing items (camisas and Sam's nightgown, for example) have yellowish places that I would like to clean, but I'm afraid I'll hurt them!

Thanks in advance,
    Aimee

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have cleaned some pretty fragial clothes although I have never done American Girl but I am guessing it will be the same get a large bowl. Rember silky outfits like Samantha's christmas dress or velvet like Molly's Chirtmas dress I wouldn't chance this since it most likley will ruin it. But otherwise get large bowl a salad one works the best and a salad spinner (a bowl thing that you use to spin salad dry.)I got one for a wedding and my delicite doll clothes have never been better. Fill the salad bowl with cool water a small one third cup of laundrey detergent I personly use Tide and if it is white you might want to put a drop of color fast detergent in or use Tide with color fast. I have not had a problem yet but you never know. Mix it together good and drop the outfit in (do one outfit at a time to avoid serious mishaps.) Let it soak overnight and then throw it in the salad spinner and give a good drying then lay it out flat to dry and if you want iron out any wrinkles. Use the iron's lowist setting. For just a spot just pour cool water over the spot and then put small drop of detergent on it rub in it like you would do to get spots out of your own clothing and then rinse it out and repete if nessicary. One word to the wise any risk is envoloved when cleaning doll clothing espcally when it is really delicite like AG clothing so don't do it unless you really need to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes when I have had my own clothes dry-cleaned, I have had some hand-made doll's dresses of silk dry-cleaned too. It never did anything bad to them. A couple of times the dry-cleaner even did it for free, he seemed to find it amusing! Good luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've used "Soil Love" (comes in a green bottle from the grocery store) and cold water to hand wash the cotton doll dresses (like Felicity's meet dress and hankie, Birthday dress, Kirsten's clothes, Felicity's shift). It got the yellowish-age color out on Felicity's shift. It's not snow white, but it's a lot better now. I don't think I'd try it on some of the non-cotton fabrics though, like the wool riding habit and cape, or satin Christmas gown... Some of the dresses say to dry clean, I believe- maybe check the tags?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I soak in woolite or OxyClean

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have washed some AG outfits in the washing machine on delicate, cold water/woolite with fine results - the only problem was the yarn bow (the yoke I think it's called) on Kirsten's nightgown came off, but it was from the late 80s/early 90s so that could have something to do with it...

I have also used Dryel, that home dry cleaning kit, especially for Felicity's School Outfit. It had some mysterious stains on it and I just treated it with the spot cleaner and put it in the dryer in the special bag on low heat and it came out like new. It might be worth trying, I think it's about $10. Good luck! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Soaking white items in Biz helps, too.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you clean something for resale, I would recommend not using dry-cleaning methods, or else give it a very good air-out before mailing it, and/or telling the buyer that it has been dry-cleaned. Some people are very allergic to dry-cleaning fumes.
    Joy