Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all! Maybe we could have a sticky thread for this? Maybe, maybe not -- I know a ton of useful threads pop up every now and then about doll care and it's hard to keep track of everything. [img]smile.gif[/img] Everyone has wonderful expert advice! I was just wondering about two things:

It seems to me that if dolls are covered in pen, marker, etc., the recommended method of cleaning is Oxy 10. What about scuffs and small smudges? What's this Magic Eraser of which you all speak so fondly? Anyone have the AG skin care kit? Reviews?

Also, is it normal for dolls to shed a bit? Sometimes when I'm gently styling Ava's hair, or carrying her around, her hair seems to get caught so easily. If I gently pull on hairs that seem to be longer than the rest (possibly loose), they come out easily! She still has a full, thick head of hair, but should I worry that a few hairs here and there come out?

Thanks!

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Magic Eraser is a product made by Mr.Clean, and I believe it's just called a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You find it in a little blue box with the cleaning supplies at places like Walmart. (I also saw some more "manly" ones in the automotive section when I was looking for Son of A Gun) It's a little sponge like thing, that you get wet, then can use it to rub scuffs, etc. off. It is, well, almost magical- thus the name. I've used it to get stains off my counters, scuffs off my floors, etc. It can take the shine off of something like a waxed floor- but I would rather have a little less shine and no scuff than a big ugly scuff. It works great on AG dolls, since they're not shiny.

Polly Marie

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the original version works on light scuffs. You can find it in the cleaning section of the grocery store or grocery department.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...s/eraser.shtml

Baking soda diluted with water to make a paste works on light scuffs or dirty vinyl.
    There are good wigs on AG dolls that have a lot of hair strands because the dolls are play dolls. I wouldn't worry about losing a few strands. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 22, 2006 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Polly Marie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The AG doll cleaning kit is just a fancy little tin of regular baking soda and some cute little washcloths. If you don't care about presentation you can save yourself alot by using household baking soda and one of you own washcloths.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excellent, thanks for all of the advice!

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's normal to loose some doll hair.

When you brush your doll's hair do you start by brushing the bottom of the air down, they go a little higher and brush down, doing this until you reach the top of the head?

Hold the top of the hair as you brush to bottom so it doesn't pull much hair out.

That's my best suggestion to loose the least hair. You probably already are doing it, but if not, it does help.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi -- yes! I have been brushing Ava's hair like that. I do my best to brush her hair as I would my own in order to avoid split ends. She hasn't lost a ton -- maybe six or seven strands total, but hey -- I paid enough for her that I reserve the right to be paranoid (haha!). Thanks again for the great advice.

Erin