Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I bought an inexpensive kirsten so that I can learn to restring etc before I try on our kailey. I read the restring instructions and just want to know, is there local stores that carry the supplies or do they need to be ordered from specialty places?
    Also, I couldn't find the directions to do a downy dunk. My 10 year old is bored [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img] today and bugging me that he wants to help me. I've got a jug of downy from costco and am ready to tackle that one! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only thing I needed to order was the elastic itself, from one of the doll-supply sites (I think it was miniworld.com).

The hemostat (clamp) I got at Hobby Lobby in the model-building section, and the crimping tool at Lowe's--about $5 each, but the crimper was on sale.

The brass sleeves I also get at Lowe's, in the plumbing section--ask for 3/8" Delrin Insert Sleeves--they're used to fix icemaker lines, and come in pairs in little ziplock bags.

By the time you get all this stuff, you've usually paid enough to send your doll to the AG Hospital; but if you intend to re-string a lot of dolls, (like me!)it's a good investment. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the Downy dunk, all you need is Downy and patience. Protect the eyes, and soak your doll's hair in a fairly flat dish or pan of Downy for from at least one hour up to a couple of days. Then rinse, rinse, rinse in cool water until all Downy is washed out. Let dry naturally, and GENTLY brush out, starting at the ends, while still damp. Good luck, and have fun! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ace Hardware had the sleeves in my town. I did have to order the elastic, and while I was at it, I threw in a hemostat on the order (under $2). Some people have gotten the elastic locally, but I had to order it on the Internet.

In another thread, I read people strongly suggesting you wash your doll's hair before the Downy Dunk. They suggested a wig shampoo, but some other folks in other threads have said baby shampoo is OK.