Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

I'm saving up for Vanessa, AKA AG #27.

Problem is, I have serious impulse problems. I impulse buy alot. I really want Vanessa, but sometimes I can't control myself [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Right now, I have $38. I keep a post it on where I store my money and keep it in order by writing the date, amount of money, and either a + or -. A + obviously means I added money, while - means I lost money.

Does anyone have any tips on how to save up and stop impulsing buying. Alot of you must have some really good ideas, mainly those who's DD's saved up for their dolls, I'd love to hear what you did to keep them on track!

Sometimes I just can't control myself [img]frown.gif[/img] .

I do have the money smarts book from AG, but I want to hear from you guys for more ideas.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 19, 2006 12:07 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to give my money to my mom to "hide" from me, until I saved up for what I wanted... she was good at it hehe and only gave me it back when I was ready to purchase and had enough money for the item I REALLY wanted! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 19, 2006 12:08 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Donna Cotterman

Ok, let's start at the beginning.
    1. Do you get an allowance?
    2. Do you save money from extra chores?
    3. Do you save empty soda/pop cans and recycle them for money?

If you can get some baby-sitting jobs, that might be another source of income.

I suggest that you have a plan for paying you and for saving. Half of all your income should go into a bank or jar and be saved.

The other half is for spending or saving for right now.

If it is a doll that you want... Cut a picture of her out and put a jar in front or by the picture. Put your change and extra money in the jar.... do not remove it once it goes in.

Make this a habit and learn to say No to spending and Yes to saving. Perhaps you can even deal with your parents or grandparents for jobs, and going halves or thirds with buying the doll.

There will be leaves to rake soon and other jobs that might be extra money makers.

Good Luck.... Don't touch the money once it's in the jar. ^j^ Mrs.C.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 02, 2006 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Mrs. C. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe give your money to one of your parents for safekeeping. That is what my DD did or she would never have had enough to buy Jess. I keep encouraging her to save it when she asked for money for something she had to have. Wait a day or two and see if you still want something before you buy it.

Inactive Member american_girl_forever's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel really sick right about now and I keep getting all these weird dizzy spells. Im just going through alot right now and I really can't think straight, like I feel like I need to be mad at my friend for alot of reasons but I don't want to be.

Thanks for your suggestions, though, and I'm really sorry about before [img]frown.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 19, 2006 12:09 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I tend to keep AG money in a money jar-and deposit it into my bank account when I plan on ordering-I spend money that is on me or in my account-but if I am at the mall, and the money is in a jar at home-I can't spend it. Thats how I saved my money from last April to get Emily and a bunch of other AG things [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Where do you impulse buy? eBay? A certain store in the mall? Figure out where it is and avoid those places. Keep your hands busy with something else. (Can you do crafts or work puzzles?) Tell us how it goes!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 19, 2006 12:11 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't feel bad, I'm mom to a teenage DD, have been married 27 years and I STILL impulse buy a lot. Lately I've been trying to correct that so I'll have more extra money for the dolls and stuff I really want, plus be able to add some of my Barbie clothes business money to help our household out.

My main thing was buying just things I didn't really need or want. I'd walk into a store and just buy stuff if I was depressed or thought it was something cool.

I found some good tips in a book too. One is, you ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" You could say "Do I really need this more than Vanessa?" Of course the answer will be no. Then go "Do I really want this? Do I want this more than saving for Vanessa." The answer should be a resounding no.

Try and tell yourself this isn't forever. Once you get your money saved and order Vanessa though, you'll be kind of used to being a "tightwad" as I'm calling myself now. It will really get easier to resist things in stores. Believe it or not, I can walk thru Walmart's fabric section and not buy a single thing--for me that's a huge accomplishment because I'm a fabric nut.

You can do this! If an oldie like me can do it, you can too! Keep us posted and don't lose hope. If you slip, use the Weight Watchers' famous rule "There's always tomorrow, I'll start fresh and not stress over it." Of course try not to slip too much or you'll be back to square one.

What helps me too is having this one online friend who is trying to be a tightwad as well. We tell each other what we've done to save money, like making do with something we've got already or only getting something we absolutely have to have (like contact lens solution or bread or milk.) You can tell us here how you've saved, we'll listen and cheer you on to victory!

Hope this helps and didn't put you to sleep heehee. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Felicity_Fan85

Those tips are good even for me-especially since I should be saving most of my workstudy money. I caved and last week bought a Magic attic Rosa (my Rosalind); then early this week I ordered a MAC Megan and then a couple days ago decided my MACs needed at least 2 more outfits and Megan needs her glasses and hat... so I'm an impulse buyer and blame it on my mom as she is one too.

Maybe I should try the jar idea-I want to save to get a digital camera (a good quality one), then for Josefina. I also want a My Twinn cuddly brother to be Kirsten's little brother Peter, but that isn't as expensive as the camera and Josie. Maybe I should save a certain percentage from my workstudy money- we get paid monthly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish I could help you, I impulse buy a lot of things, too. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast