Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Signature Picture Sizes - Your thoughts?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MaryCarly:
    Photobucket no longer has the edit option to resize using a percent. These are the choices they now offer:

100 x 75 Avatar
    160 x 120 Thumbnail
    320 x 240 Website, Email
    640 x 480 Message Board

My photo was already smaller than the last option so that option did not come up on this particular photo.
    I chose the 320 x 240 option and the actual pic resized to 320 x 209.
    The result is below in my signature. What do you think?

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ September 13, 2006 11:28 AM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you for this explaination but now the question is what is the size to put in the signature? The message board size?

Summerfun005 1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that photobucket is now even easier to use.

First you download your pic.

Then you click edit and you can choose:
    the first resize option for avatars
    the third resize option for signature pics
    the fourth resize option if you want to show a pic once in the body of your message.

Once a pic has been resized, the same pic can not be made bigger again, but if you need it larger (you were going to use a pic as an avatar and changed your mind and now want it for your signature) then you just delete it from photobucket and then download it again. Then you can just choose your new resize option.

It is very simple to use now; even I can do it. lol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Boop0415:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MaryCarly:
    Photobucket no longer has the edit option to resize using a percent. These are the choices they now offer:

100 x 75 Avatar
    160 x 120 Thumbnail
    320 x 240 Website, Email
    640 x 480 Message Board

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you for this explaination but now the question is what is the size to put in the signature? The message board size?
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For a signature pic, I would think a better choice would be the third option which is labeled 320 x 240 Website, Email.

The Message Board size would be twice as large, though it might be good for a pic that you wanted to display once in the body of your message.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 13, 2006 11:47 PM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Mary,

I was just wondering, is your current signature picture of Molly & BB the Website/email size, i.e. option 3, in photobucket?

I just wanted to know approximately how big option 3 makes the pictures look on HB.

Also, Boop, your top picture above is so cute! Which doll is that--her haircut is darling!

Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I used the Molly and BB pic to show what the third option would do, though my photo had been cropped beforehand so my final pic is not exactly 320 x 240. It came out just a bit smaller (320 x 209.)

Judi (moderator) indicated that pidgetgirl's pic was a good size and the third option comes the closest to this. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 13, 2006 10:41 PM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The HTML makes the picture display small, but as far as I know, the picture itself will still load, however big it is. So if your 8x10, 300K picture of your doll is shrunk down to look small, it will still take a long time for dial-up users to load it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the avatars are exactly the same. It seems kind of pointless, to me on dial up, to have someone's picture loading for 3 minutes, just to have it turn out it's an avatar that wasn't resized. It's especially disappointing when the picture is so large you can't see it properly when it has to minimize itself so much to fit in the small avatar space [img]frown.gif[/img] .

There are many programs one could use to easily resize pictures. I use IrfanView For Avatars, one would minimize it quite a bit, and make sure it was a square. After that you'd let it resize it to 96 X 96 (or 100 X 100). For the sigs, go for a larger size, the Mods seem to have ok'ed the 200 X 300 ish size, so you'd just have it resize it to that.

I (and I'm sure others here) would be more than happy to resize pictures for people, or show them how with the program I linked to, if anyone wants to PM me about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ANY HTML that you put on a website (or any other coding) is going to make it load more slowly. So it's actually BETTER to have a long list of names rather than a marquee.

Likewise, not forcing a color will cause the text to load faster than if you've given it color tags.

Also, if you force the size with code rather than using an already shrunken picture, it will still take a long time to load. The webpage pulls the image first, gets all the information, THEN displays it. While it displays it, it makes it the size you told it to be.

If you're not sure what I mean by forcing the size, it's when you type something like this to show a picture, and the XXX are numbers: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#FFcCff"><pre>&lt;img src="URL FOR PICTURE" height="XXXpx" width="XXXpx"&gt; </pre></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

(I've been doing web-design for nearly 10 years now. I may have started at 13, so maybe it's not as impressive as an adult doing it, but I've learned quite a lot since then!)

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Summerfun005 1

Okay, I just resized to the third choice, Website/email. Let's see how it looks. And yes this is easy.

happyAGmommykatie my doll is #3 I purchased from a HB member with a hair cut. She's my twin when I was 10. Except my bangs were shorter, I didn't want to do that to this dolly.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 14, 2006 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Boop0415 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dimension tags are very nifty. However, if someone has a very large picture, I think it would be thoughtful of her/him to resize manually. The HTML makes the picture display small, but as far as I know, the picture itself will still load, however big it is. So if your 8x10, 300K picture of your doll is shrunk down to look small, it will still take a long time for dial-up users to load it. (If a small picture is resized to be a little smaller, that's probably not an issue.)

EDIT TO ADD: And I think the new 320x(whatever it ends up being) size is just perfect!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 14, 2006 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips! Several members have already decreased their sig pic size. I personally have be going without a signature for the last few months. I only add a pic when I have a new one.

Some of you might want to rethink putting your doll list in your signature. I don't think many people read those lists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234