Thread: Japanese Friendship Dolls (now with AG dolls in Japan!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd never heard of these, but how neat! (Thanks to the Wikipedia link game for this discovery.)

http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/dolls/index.htm

I haven't looked at too many of the pages, but there's some lovely dolls, Japanese and American both. It's very sweet to read some of the stories of the people who sheltered the American dolls from destruction during World War II. And now I have a project for my (WAY DOWN THE ROAD EVENTUAL) 1920s Harlem Renaissance doll (and maybe even an excuse to give her a kimono). [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 09, 2006 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Polly Marie

Very interesting sites. Thanks for posting the opening site. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read all about this in an old AG Magazine, I think from the early or mid 90s. It's really interesting, and I loved how AG was showing how dolls have always been "important." I'll try and find the article over the weekend [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Uhm. Never mind, it's on the website, lol! That's what happens when you respond before actually reading [img]redface.gif[/img] .

Thanks for bringing it up~! It really is cute, and I loved re-reading about it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, look at this one! It's a Molly doll (with a new name) in Japan! [img]smile.gif[/img] (a link that was on one of the subpages of the above site)

http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/doll...kaue/index.htm

EDIT: And an AGOT! How neat to think that the dolls we're playing with are so beautiful and popular that Americans are still sending them to Japanese school children as heirloom quality items, almost 80 years later. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/doll...toku/index.htm

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ September 09, 2006 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 09, 2006 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the great links here, Julie! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] They were very heart-warming to read. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They appear to have a lot of AG dolls there. How sweet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/doll...olls/index.htm will take you to the new dolls. MANY of them are AGs, though few have the name of who they were originally, even historicals. There IS a Kirsten, though! Unfortunately, her link doesn't work to go to a page to learn abut her, but it's still neat. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

emsmombuysdolls

That is really neat. I need to explore the website. Can we still exchange dolls? I guess I should read and find out for myself.