Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom and I are thinking of driving to AGPLA and are looking for a reasonable hotel in a safe area. Any suggestions?

PS:I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't locate the thread. [img]redface.gif[/img] Thanks in advance for your help.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When my mom and I went to AGPLA this summer, we stayed at the Orlando, which is listed on AG's recommended hotels page. It is about a 15-25 minute walk from AGPLA (depending on how fast you walk [img]smile.gif[/img] ) or a five minute cab ride. When we went, we walked from the hotel to AGPLA but decided to take a cab on the way back because of all the stuff we bought! [img]redface.gif[/img] The area is ok - not as glitzy as the Grove itself, but fine for walking around during the day.

If you book a room over the phone and ask about an AGP special, you can get a nice room for, I think it was in the $130s or so? Which includes a doll bed (we were brought Samantha's but I think they have others as well), a nice breakfast, and $10 of cab vouchers. But note that the room price does NOT include parking. You either have to use the hotel's valet parking or find a spot on the street yourself. Also, they kinda looked at me funny when they realized we had booked a room under the AGP special and I was not in the target age. But they were nice about it and still did all the special little things like put the doll bed and a welcome card in the room. I didn't feel like I was taking advantage because we DID actually go to AGPLA and I did have a doll with me. Just be prepared for that too, hehe.

HTH!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow that is just what DD and I did . It is a pretty nice little hotel I did like the rooms . We walked eveyday to ag and took taxis home . Like you said to much goodies to carry.. HEHE. diane

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We stayed at the Orlando, too, and would NEVER stay there again! We went with two other friends, and all of us had separate reservations. The hotel messed up every single one of our reservations! They lied about it, saying we okay'd the changes (did NOT), and wouldn't reimburse us at all. We didn't get doll beds until after 8:30pm, had to change rooms twice because of the mix ups, a half bottle of vodka was in one room, smoking room, etc. etc. etc. While the amenities were nice (breakfast, taxi vouchers), it didn't make up for their rudeness. In the future, we'll stay across the street from the Grove at The Farmer's Daughter Hotel. Same price, and DIRECTLY across the street! No doll beds, but just as nice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tallpkb, that's terrible! It reminded me that I'd forgot to mention - the Orlando did goof our reservations a bit as well. When I called the day before to confirm our reservations, they had misspelled our name and so they couldn't find it. If I hadn't had the confirmation number written down, I don't know what would have happened.

Next time I will look in to staying at the Farmer's Daughter as well, mostly because of the proximity to AGPLA. The Orlando IS close to AGP, but not quite as close as I'd thought it would be. We were lucky to go on a pleasant day. If the weather had been bad, we probably would have taken a cab both ways.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input, I think I'll look into the Farmers Daughter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

here's the link for Farmer's Daughter Hotel:

http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/

Be sure to watch the intro to the site, it's very cute!

Thanks so much for this info, I think we'll definitely be staying there. I'm trying to plan a trip for summer of '08, I know, I know, it's still early! We want to go to Disneyland and stay at the Grand Californian, and then of course, we'll have to do AGPLA at The Grove, I'm so glad this will be so close!

And then of course, we'll have to do some kind of tour. I always like to do city tours, I think they're fun and informative, but then, I've always been a little nerdy! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Laurie

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 10, 2006 11:55 AM: Message edited by: dianasmama ]</font>