Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a good article about the modes of transportation in Belize. Jess most likely would have used a motor scooter. I just wish it was written into her story. Marisol didn't have a revolving stage in her story either but I guess that's where a little girl's imagination comes in. A stage is a lot more intuitive than a motor scooter.

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmmm... thanks for the link. It's good to know that the scooter actually is relevent to Jess.
    -G

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by JuliaAM:
    Jess most likely would have used a motor scooter. Julia
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the link, Julia. I actually never doubted that Jess would have ridden on a motor scooter. I just think she would have liked a new outfit or two more than her own scooter. That tie-dyed skirt and halter must be pretty tattered by now in the rainforest!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Didn't someone mention that she'd have to have a license to drive that? Jess is only 10 or 11 (I forgot which).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Bean Bunny:
    Didn't someone mention that she'd have to have a license to drive that? Jess is only 10 or 11 (I forgot which).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I lived in Central America for 5 months and yes, Belize probably does mandate that you have a liscense to drive a scooter (although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't) but they most likely don't enforce that law.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did a little searching for motor scooters and found out that children under the age of 12 are not advised to ride them. [img]eek.gif[/img] Other safety councils say the age of 14 or 16 should be the minimum. sigh. I guess that's only in America. In other countries, there might not be as many safety rules as here. I don't know about the Belize law. Still, after reading a couple articles, I'm not sure I'd let my daughter under the age of 12 ride a motor scooter unless she was around them alot and knew exactly what she was doing.

Julia

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 28, 2006 09:57 PM: Message edited by: JuliaAM ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jess's scooter does seem like an odd item to add to her collection, even if it's plausible she would have traveled that way. I still wish they would have given her more archaeology-themed things!

I really love the idea of a scooter for dolls, though, because scooters, dirt bikes, four wheelers, snowmobiles and the like are VERY popular in the area I grew up in (rural Michigan). My family has never owned anything other than regular bicycles, but my neighbors and good friends had anything you could think of with wheels and a motor. I have no idea if there are actual laws about how old you have to be to drive them, but except for the snowmobile, which was always off limits, we used to drive/ride four wheelers and motor bikes from about age 8 on up. We rode them through woods and fields and things, mostly to get to forts and other special play areas that were far away in the woods. Nobody ever got hurt riding anything. I actually think it made us all much better drivers, because we had a lot of practice steering and manuevering a vehicle before we ever got behind the wheel of a car.

And if anyone wants a comparable cheap alternative to Jess's scooter, Our Generation motor scooters pop up frequently on ebay. They are very similar to Jess's scooter and MUCH cheaper. As a matter of fact, I just won one on ebay tonight for $8.50. I can't wait till it comes! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find the scooter a bit perplexing as well. My guess is AG makes way more money on big items like a $65 scooter than they do on a $28 outfit.