Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

My 4 1/2 year old really wants Jesse for Christmas. I know that the recommended age for AG is 8 years old. She has one Bitty, and I've tried unsuccessfully talk her into the twins. She is insistant on Jesse, and since Jesse is only here for a year, I'm a little perplexed.

So my question is has anyone purchased an AG for their daughters who are MUCH younger than 8? How young is too young?

Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think 4 is fine for a modern doll, especially one that is an LE like Jess. When it comes to the historicals I think they should be old enough to read and understand the books, but thats just me. I think it ultimatley depends on your child and your opinion because all kids age and mature differently.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 10, 2006 01:05 PM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I purchased a used Josefina from the MCM Sale, for my then 2 1/2 year old. The only reason I did, was because of her older sisters. The oldest has 10, the 7 year old has 3, and at the time my Niece was living with me and I had just purchased her one. (and of course mommy has 3 of her own) So, she was getting to an age where she was feeling left out.

I have to say that she plays and respects her Josefina doll more then any other (she does have a couple of Bitty's) She loves her and respects the rules I have laid down for her...Such as not removing her braid, no cloths are allowed to be taken off w/o permission, and no makeup on the doll. She has had her now for over a year.

I am proud of her and the decision I made to go ahead and give her the doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would go ahead and get her, especially because she's LE. I got my first AG doll on my 6th birthday, and I think getting her on my 5th birthday would have been fine.

As long as your DD is mature enough to take care of her doll, I don't think there's a problem!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My dd received her first doll when she was only 4. I think it depends on the child and how you think they can handle it. Having said that, I also think that since Jess is a LE I WOULD go ahead and get her even if you decide to put her up for later. I missed out on Kailey *sigh* and had to turn to ebay, you dont want to make that mistake.

tiktokism

If you think your daughter is old enough, she's old enough. Do lay some ground rules though - I'd leave Jess's hair in the braids and make sure no makeup or markers got too close. Since Jess is limited edition, it would be really sad if she were to get marked up and scruffy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My girls got their first dolls when they were 7 and 5. That was 4 years ago. Kirsten (who was a gift for the 5 year old) still has her braids in, and still has all her clothing pieces. My girls know that the dolls are expensive and special, and although they play with them almost daily they are still in wonderful shape. I say - GO for it!

Jo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My own dd was done playing with baby dolls by the age of 4 and thrilled to get Samantha for her 4th birthday. Her Samantha became a dear friend who shared secrets and adventures. My dd is now 19 and not really into dolls anymore, but her Samantha is still very precious to her.

I have a niece who is 14 and just starting to get interested in the 18" dolls, but the babies will always be her favorites.

I guess every girl is different and I would consider the age recommendations more of a guideline than a rule.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 10, 2006 01:46 PM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi: I remember having dolls with hair when I was young. My mother set up certain rules with the hair and such. They stayed nice and I learned how to take care of things.

I think I'd get the other things that are for Jess and save them for later, anything with small parts. But the pjs should be ok. I love those pjs (I'm thinking of getting an extra pair) I bet she would love to match her doll with that.

I think the reason for the age of 8 is more for the historical dolls with all the small pieces in their collections.

I know I always loved dolls because my mother gave them to me at an early age. I also know other girls that never got into dolls much because the mothers waited too long.

Good luck with your decision.

Craftycarol51

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How young is too young? I honestly think it varies from child to child. Some children are just naturally more destructive than other kids. While some children are always very cautious with their things.

My Mae got her Mantha before she turned two years old. She showed a lot of interest in my dollys, and I wanted her to have one she could play with, and call her own.

We purchased Mantha from a fellow board member. My Mae loves her doll so much! She has always been very careful with her, but she has had a lot of fun with her too.

We usually keep Mantha's hair pulled back into a ponytail to keep it "out of the way".Once a week or so, we take her ponytail down, and brush her hair good, then put it back up.

Mae will be three in Nov. She has played with Mantha on a daily basis, and her doll still looks as pretty as she did the day she arrived.

Mae loves the Samantha movie, and she has let me read a few of Samantha's stories to her. Our Mantha is currently in "today girl" status, and she wears just whatever Mae thinks is pretty. I know as Mae gets older, she will appreciate all of Samantha's stories, her clothes and her historically correct accessories. For now, she is a wonderful lesson in friendship and dolly care.

If you feel like your daughter is ready for Jess, go for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast