Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AG Activities in honor of Molly's movie!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Deborah and Girls:
    How about something for our current service men and women?

Like--Sending little things like baby wipes and candy canes to Iraq, (contact your nearest military base and ask them for addresses), Collecting magazines and blankets for your nearest Veteran's hospital, and even sending Christmas cards to thank service people for their hard work.

I'm not super creative--I'm sure everyone can come up with better ideas than these.

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have no idea how nice it is to recieve a gift like that when you are a servicemember far from home. A lot of troops, even ones not in or around Iraq, catch a lot of grief just for being in the military, so knowing that some cares means a lot. There are also other places of deployment where troops would love to get a card or gift (like remote tour desititations such as South Korea, Quatar, and Turkey). I would contact you local military base to find out more.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are some great ideas here. We don't have Molly, and I haven't ready her books. I picked up the Molly story collection at the AG Outlet and DD has read it. I guess now would be a great time for me to read it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a great thread! I'll type up some of the stuff from Molly's Craft Book over the weekend (assuming they aren't all up by then).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My kids do the Shoe box project every year for Religon class. It's a great project. I shop all year and pick up little things and then I make them go through thier toys as well. Last year we cleared out all of the MCdonalds Hand held video games that we had. They had barely been played with and were a perfect size. This year we have lots of new unopened Happy meal toys that they didn't want. We also make stockings in Girl Scouts for our FISH Organization. It's a great way to get kids involved. We have the younger girls decorate the front or the older ones sew the stockings themselves. And we always do a twice a year toy sort to donate to our Catholic Charities.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Our local public schools have a box where they collect donations of child-sized coats, hats, scarves, and gloves. Then when children come to school without enough warm clothes to wear, the school can give them what they need from that box. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

So you could check with your local schools, to see if they have a program like that, and collect coats or make scarves and hats and mittens or gloves for them. And if they don't have such a program, maybe you could start one! [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 10, 2006 01:05 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just as a word of caution, unless you are related to someone stationed on a military installation, you probably won't get much assistance from the base closest to you. They won't give out overseas mailing addresses for troops to just random individuals.

Any Soldier.com used to have the ability to accept care packages from well meaning citizens, but since the anthrax mail scare, military moms is reporting that you can't send mail through that avenue anymore.

My best suggestion would be to see if the local VFW, AMVETS, American Legion, or VA hospital will allow you to assist them, or if they currently have a platoon or unit they are supporting through previous arrangements.

Toys for Tots donations is a very good suggestion too. I know the donation barrels have been set out already.

America Supports You.com is another good option.

In September 2004 the Dept of Defense released the following:

TROOP SUPPORT MAIL POLICY EMPHASIZED

To bolster force protection, the general public is urged not to send unsolicited mail, care packages or donations to service members forward deployed unless you are a family member, loved one or personal friend.

On Oct. 30, 2002, the Department of Defense (DoD) suspended the "Operation Dear Abby" and "Any Servicemember" mail programs due to force protection concerns. Although these programs provide an excellent means of support to friends and loved ones stationed overseas, they also provide an avenue to introduce hazardous substances or materials into the mail system from unknown sources. Unsolicited mail, packages and donations from organizations and individuals also compete for limited airlift space used to transport supplies, war-fighting materiel and mail from family and loved ones.

Recently, DoD has become aware of organizations and individuals who continue to support some form of the "Any Servicemember" program by using the names and addresses of individual servicemembers and unit addresses. These programs are usually supported by well-intentioned, thoughtful and patriotic groups who are simply unaware of the new risks facing deployed military forces. Some individuals and groups publicize the names and addresses of service members, ships or units on Web sites, with good intentions. The result, however, is a potential danger to the troops they wish to support.

DoD cannot support creative and well-intentioned efforts that defeat force protection measures, but can instead recommend alternatives to mail and donation programs. To show support to troops overseas, the following are recommended:

* Log on to the following Web sites to show support, to include greeting cards, virtual Thank You cards and calling card donations to help troops stay in contact with loved ones:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/support_troops.html

http://www.usocares.org/home.htm

http://www.army.mil/operations/iraq/faq.html

* Visit Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and nursing homes. Volunteer your services to honor veterans who served in past conflicts.

Mail from family members and loved ones has always been encouraged and the military mail system will continue to work hard to get that mail to servicemembers overseas.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 11, 2006 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Calling Cadence ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asking your local nursing homes if you and your group can come caroling around Christmas/Hannukah time is another idea. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Our town is fortunate enough to be home to one of the National Vetern's Homes. As a Girl Scout Project (similar to Molly?), DD was able to "adopt" a vetern for her community service project. This was her own idea. As we live far away from all of our family, this has been a great experience for her to be around another generation. The vets at the home are always glad to see her, and amazed at what she knows about history (mostly from her AG books!) They also look foward to seeing which doll comes to see them on visiting day [img]wink.gif[/img] On these same lines we are filling shoe boxes (similar to above)with articles the vets might need (travel size hygiene products, books, cards, handheld games, socks, ect). You might be suprised to learn that many of these men have no family to visit or bring them gifts at Christmas or during the year. They have did a great honor to all of us by serving their counrty. In return it is an honor for my family to be able to give a very small something back to them.

Also serving food at soup kitchens during the holiday meals. This is more Kit than Molly, but along the same lines.

Although the Red Cross no longer needs bandages rolled. I know for a fact that our local office loves any and all volunteers than can get. They will find something for you to do no matter what your age!

Thanks for all the above posts. I look forward to seeing more and gathering ideas from you all!
    Happy Holidays!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great ideas everyone keep 'em coming!

What about donating to your local food bank? Check with the food bank to see how to set up a collection site.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I sure hope some of you can make photo albums of these activities somehow! [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

I can't wait to see them! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast