Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there one doll that is particularly special to you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Addy. Addy was the one I wished for and dreamed for for 13 years until I got her.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I discovered AG when I was very, very, VERY little. The first book I read was Changes for Josefina, and I just kept reading all the books in the series, even using distance library loans to order books from across the nation. I begged for an AG for years and years. My parents were thrilled that I was reading so much, but were not willing to shell out $87 US to buy a doll. Finally, years and years and YEARS later, on Christmas morning I discovered a suspicious wrapped box under the tree. I dragged it to my brother's room and measured it on his little "look how much I've grown" chart. Sure enough, it was 18 inches. The rule in our house is "wait to open the biggest present last", but I received a hint as to which dolly it was when I opened up Kit's Christmas dress.

I loved Kit SO much. She looked just like me (her and my freckles were actually in the exact same spots), and I was glad my childhood dream of having an AG had come true. My mom doesn't like me to get AG stuff, and I'm fine with the fact that I have a very wee AG Collection because, for me, getting all the stuff isn't the point of AG.

Kit's stories inspired me to write a letter to the editor of my favorite magazine, which was eventually printed! I felt just like Kit: thousands of people would read words I had written, and I was just thrilled! I am so glad I have Kit. She is very, very special to me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kinda a tough one for me.Nellie was my first and a present from my partner so she is doubly special.I had literaly been asking for an AG every year since I got my first cataloge 1986 or 87 so when she said "pick one out and show me how to order from AG online",my jaw hit the floor.But Samantha was the one I dreamed of getting all those years so when I got her this past spring I actually cried I just couldn't beleive it. [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What wonderful stories & memories you both have of Kit. Ready for another Kit story? [img]wink.gif[/img] I really don't know which doll will be most special to my DD in years to come. For now she insists that they are equally special & loved. She does indeed take them everywhere together & play with them both. She received Kit for Chrismas 2005, so I know it will always be a special memory for her...receiving her much anticipated first AG. Felicity was bought with her own $ that she saved for 3 months. She literally screamed & was in tears (& she is not a tear up kind of girl [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) when the UPS truck pulled into the driveway. She was shaking & screaming, "She's here! She's really here!". I know both moments will forever be etched in her memory, but will be curious ten years down the road which one is deemed more "special". My bet is on Felicity, since she was the 1st item she ever saved $ for to buy.

Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Molly. When AG was first introduced in the late 80's I wanted her so badly. I was 9 and my parents told me they couldn't afford such an expensive doll but wanted me to see the catalogue anyway, because the dolls were so unique. From that moment on I decided I must have Molly and saved money for a year. I bought my first AG, Molly, for my 10th birthday. So Molly will always hold a special place in my heart [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Marisol-- she looks just like my DD, infact so much that people unfamiliar with AG ask if she is one of the My Twinn dolls when Mandy is out and about with her, I wish I had bought one to keep up nice for her when she is older .

Felicity_Fan85

Felicity- I got her in late December 1997 and she was my first AG. We both have red hair and green eyes and she is just so beautiful to me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kirsten! When I was little when the American Girls came out, my best friend got Samantha for her bday.. she then gave me the catalog and I saw kirsten and knew I had to have her! I begged and begged and then received her for my bday that same year! A few years ago however, my mom threw her out " yes, she was a white body" she was cleaning out the attic and found her with her ratted hair and threw her away without even asking me! Sigh.. in the meantime I have purchased a new white bodied kirsten, not as a replacement but more of a memory to the kirsten that I had so many years ago! [img]smile.gif[/img] She's the one that started it all! HEHE!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She literally screamed & was in tears (& she is not a tear up kind of girl ) when the UPS truck pulled into the driveway. She was shaking & screaming, "She's here! She's really here!".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't you just love the UPS man? I think someday I may marry one. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi! This is such a nice thread of memories so far. Here is another Kit story: I think that Kit will always be particularly special to me. I got her in Feb 06 when I went to NYC & NJ for my grandfather's funeral. My Dad & I were the first family members to arrive so we spent the afternoon together in the city and he took me to AGPNY just so that I could enjoy shopping there. My Dad completely got into the AG experience and even helped me choose Kit, as well as buying her her first outfit (the scooter ensemble).

We decided on Kit together, I had originally planned to get Jess, but since Kit is from Cincinnati, where my Dad lives, and is a 1930's girl, the era my grandfather enjoyed sharing memories with us about the most & the era which seemed to have impacted his own life the most, Kit just seemed like the natural choice. I confess I had never read Kit's story before I got her. When AG first came out my sister and I were Samantha, Kirsten and Molly fans. But once I read Kit's story I knew my Dad & I had made the right choice. Kit's stories just seem to reflect upon and convey all of the values my Grandpa shared with us, so Kit serves as a lovely reminder of a terrific man. Plus, the opportunity to enjoy AGP with my Dad (who is not exactly interested in dolls) is a memory I'll always cherish. Kit's collection is for now the only one I really want to have all of so that I can share it with DD when she is a bit older.

Thanks for starting such a thoughtful topic!
    I'm looking forward to reading more stories from everyone.

Katie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast