Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there one doll that is particularly special to you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would definatly have to say Kacey. She is very special to me. These are the reasons why:
    #1)She was the doll I had saved my money up forever and had wished for her for Christmas and my birthday. Everythime I found a penny I would be so glad because I was that much closer to my AG doll.
    #2)My mom and dad took me to AGPC as a surprise for my b-day and that was where I got Kacey. I have so many pictures of our first moments together that whenever I look at them it makes me so glad because she was my first doll!

thepidget

Molly is my most special doll. I first discovered her stories when I was in fourth grade, but I only got her recently. Even to this day, I love her stories and her character, and I love that she wears glasses (I do too). She is my first AG and she will always have a very special place in my heart. [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Felicity will always be the doll that is most special to me. Hers were the first books that Judy brought home from her school library, and we read them together - Judy reading me a chapter while I fixed dinner, and me reading her one just after she got into bed. Once we discovered that there were dolls to go with the stories, Judy wanted Felicity so badly! I saved from the grocery money for a whole year so we could get this doll for her for Christmas. Judy was almost 10, and she loved her Felicity so much! Even though we couldn't afford to buy her any clothes or accessories, we would just drool over the catalogs and dream together. When Judy went away to college, Felicity was the first historical girl I bought for myself - I found a PM beauty on eBay and couldn't resist her. Judy has been serving as a missionary for nearly 18 months now and will be home the end of September. Waiting for on her bed when she returns will be her own much loved and newly re-conditioned Felicity, surrounded by the nearly complete PM wardrobe I have been purchasing for her a piece at a time while Judy has been gone. I can hardly wait!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 06, 2006 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the lovely stories everyone. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] They remind me of all the reasons I love AG. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kit! Kit is my favorite!! I have two. I don't think there is such a thing as too many dolls... I bond with each one of them. I just like to space them out a bit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mine is Samantha. Although I debated over which AG I wanted of the 3 originals when Mom offered to get me one for my next birthday, I settled on Samantha and just fell in love with her stories and her era. I could not wait for her to come! I used to carry the catalogue around open to the actual sized photo. I'd read her description over and over. I even remember dancing around with the catalogue while singing, "Soon I'll be dancing with the real Samantha!"

When she arrived, it wasn't quite my birthday, so I couldn't see her yet. I was taking a bath, and mom brought in the brown box she was in to show me. (Back when it was ok for Mom to see me taking a bath! lol)

A year later, when I turned 10, I planned a Victorian birthday party just like Samantha! My mom gave me the set they used to have with the theatre kit, cookbook, and paper dolls. For the party, we had lemonade and coconut ice cream balls and even ordered petitfours! For favors, we gave out fans and tiny fuzzy teddies.

The best part, though, was performing Samantha's play from her theatre kit! I assigned all my friends roles when I gave out the invitation and told them what sorta thing to bring for a costume. We did a read through and then acted it out with Dad videotaping. [img]smile.gif[/img] I still have it and really wish I knew how to post it so you all could see it. It's very funny. We didn't really rehearse it (we had the scripts with us the whole time) so we had funny little mistakes like forgetting to pre-set props. "Lydia" was supposed to be under Grandmary's table but we had left her on the piano bench.

I get a kick out of watching it- my friend playing Nellie accidentally repeating my line and us both cracking up, me trying to play director while the camera is still rolling, one of the girls narrating accidentally reading from Kirsten's play.

Here are some pics-

Me on the day I first got Samantha.
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AZsmbNo5ZMy

Me on my 10th birthday as Samantha
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AZsmbNo5ZMy

I tried to do a Felicity party when I turned 15, but it just wasn't the same.

My original Samantha doll has had her head redone twice due to messed up wigs, but she's still my special girl even though I now own 8. Sometimes I wish I'd focused on completing her collection rather than getting into new dolls, but it just wasn't to be. I can't stick to just one! I do have most of her clothes at least.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once I order Felicity next spring, I'll have my top three dolls (Kit, Josefina, and Felicity), and that's where I'll stop. I love Felicity's and Josefina's collections and stories, but the doll that will always stand out to me will be my Kit.

I recieved her for Christmas when I was 12 (I think [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] ). I got her, her Christmas dress, and a pottery set. [img]smile.gif[/img]

She hadn't been out for very long, but she was the doll for me! I remember how excited I was when the second half of her colletion became available. I just loved her table and chairs, and her desk, and her meet outfit, and, well, everything!

I adored her stories. Even though as far as tastes went, I identified with Ruthie, I just loved Kit's character- the way she was determined, courageous, and, even though it was hard for her family to make enough money to keep their house, she saw that it was worse for other people and wanted to help.

I got most of her outfits as gifts, but I was told that if I wanted her furniture I would need to save up the money myself, so I did. For the two years that it took me to aquire everything, most of my money (if not all) went to American Girl. The first furniture I bought was her bed, nightstand, etc., back when you could buy it in the "Nighttime Collection", or whatever they called it. Then I bought her table and chairs. I got her desk for Christmas, so the only thing I had left was the trunk. For Christmas my mom suggested money to my grandparents (the ones who had bought her for me in the first place) because I was saving for the trunk. Imagine my (and my mom's!) surprise when that year, I got not only her trunk, but her party treats and a doll stand as well! That completed my collection and I have been keeping up with it ever since.

Kit was the only doll I had for several years, until Josefina. She will always be very special to me. If I could only have one doll, it would definitely be her. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Is there a doll that is particularly special to anyone else? When you get as many dolls as some people have, does it make the newer ones not quite as special? Is there (dare I say it) such a thing as having too many dolls, when it becomes a collection only, rather than a collection/special sort of bond?

Just a thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't pick just one! When my grandmother first received a catalog, she asked my sister (who is three years older than me) which doll she wanted and which one I wanted. Well, first I wanted Kirsten. But my sister said she wanted Kirsten and we just could not have the same doll. So I said Sam. I haven't looked back since. I was a very solitary kid and having my Sam was like having the closest friend ever. (I did finally buy myself Kirsten nearly three years ago. Always wanted her and was determined to have her.)
    But Addy holds a close place in my heart as well, being the first girl I saved up all my money for to buy. I bought her the year she came out and I was 12 years old.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Samantha - When I was seven I believe my parents started me on an allowance, the next year my step grandmother sent me a catalogue with Samantha on the front. When I read her description about being an orphan and not knowing her parents (I was adopted at birth), and that her cover illustrations looked just like me. She was who I had to have. My parents wouldn't buy her for me and said I should save my money (Teaching a 7-8 year old the magic of delayed gratification). So, every week instead of getting my allowance, my dad would put it in a wallet for Samantha.

I can't remember what season it was when I finally got her, but around that time it was also either Christmas or my birthday (winter or spring). And along with being able to buy my Samantha my parents got me her whole story collection, and my mother got the doll dress patterns and made me her Christmas, birthday and Birthday dress. They also had most of my relatives get me some of her accersories. This included outfits and accesories outside of Samantha's collectiong. I still thank my mom for three retired items outside of Samantha's collection (in historicals) that she got me, because she thought they were cute (I am a purist when it comes to historicals).

Over time my family stopped getting me AG and I had a slight hiatus of buying American Girl. I started up again when I was 14 and bought Chantal (AGOT #4), but even then it was up and down on what I spent my money on. Then I went to college, and they (Chantal and Samantha) were there for me when I needed something that reminded me of good times. Over time either my mother, my birth mother, my paternal birth grandmother (I met my birth parents), or me bought the rest of the historicals, added on the LE's and a few more todays. But Samantha was my first, she was the one I had to work towards.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd have to say Kirsten. Being from the UK, I'd never heard of American Girl, and at 10, thought I'd long outgrown dolls. But my family and I went to Chicago on vacation and everywhere we went, girls were clutching these beautiful dolls in a million different outfits. When we stumbled upon the shops, my mom asked if I would like one for my birthday. We must have spent about two hours debating over every doll. I wanted Samantha, but my mom kept pulling me over to Kirsten. The more I thought about it, the more I realised I wanted her.

As she was my first, and I was still in the "playing" stage rather than collecting dolls, I dressed Kirsten every morning, did her hair, packed a lunch for her, and left her by our front door, so that we both came home from school at the same time. When I got Molly a few months later, she seemed more an extension of Kirsten, rather than a character in her own right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast