Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OT - So Nervous... ***UPDATE*** Thank you HB!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

I grew up an only child, but after my parents divorced when I was a year old, my father remarried and had another daughter when I was 3 1/2. Around that time he also passed away. I have never been close to my father's side of the family, in fact I haven't really even seen or heard from them since after I was around 12 and spent a christmas with my paternal grandparents. While I was there I saw a picture of my half-sister on the wall and learned that her name was Stacey. I have never met her, and that was the only time I have ever seen her picture. Well, I am now nearing 33, and over the past year or so I have really been feeling like there is an emptiness where my family is concerned. Since then I have been using search engines to look for my sister without much luck, though I have found out the spelling of her name and her middle name. Finally last night I found her listed again only with her married name. I hunted a little more, and I found her address and phone number! So, tonight my BFF is coming over for support and I am going to call her. First I am going to verify that it's really her (and not another person with her name which is unlikely) but after that I don't know what to say! I am just shaking knowing that I have found her. Does anybody have any suggestions, or has anybody gone through this? Any support would be appreciated!! I'm just a bundle of nerves!

~Dee

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ August 02, 2006 06:53 PM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 03, 2006 02:05 PM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can kinda relate to not knowing much about a side of the family. I just started interacting with my dad's family about five years ago. Most of my uncles and aunts live in the same town as me, and never knew I exsisted!! When I was younger, I didn't want anything to do with them, but I reget that now, because it's going to take me forever to get to know all of them!! Just be thankful that you have found her, and hope for the best. Whatever happens, at least you know you tried, and that's all you can do. Good luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't have any advise but I am very excited for you and wish you the best with your call. My parents both have been married multiple times and I had a former step brother call me a couple of years ago out of the blue. We keep in touch and have even met up. He's a talker and will easily keep me on the phone for 5-6 hours so I have to plan carefully when I call him. Anyways, I know it's not the same but I'm always excited hearing from long lost family members. Good Luck!!

[img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img] Kristin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, my; I'd be so nervous too! I've never done anything at all like that; it's more like something you read about!

I guess you'd want to introduce yourself, probably the same way you introduced her to us. And as rough as it is, I would think it would be proper to emphasize that if she doesn't want to talk (or isn't ready yet), she doesn't have to. After all, I'd be REALLY creeped out if someone randomly looked me up on the Internet and then (it seemed) that person wouldn't leave me alone!

Whatever you do or say, I wish you luck, and am hoping and praying it goes well!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't really have any advice, but good luck with the phone call. Please let us know what happens. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

You've been thinking about this for a while. The anticipation must be great! I don't have any advice but I am saying a prayer that all will go well.
    Polly Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish you well with your phone call. I would be so happy to hear from a long lost sister. I have 4 step sisters that I absolutely adore. I also have 1 biological sister that is my best friend.
    Good luck!

thepidget

Wow, I would be very nervous too! Just explain to her who you are and why you would like to talk with her. I hope she will be receptive! I wish you the best. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hope it went allright.I'm in a similar situation.I recently looked up my biological father on the internet.I haven't seen him since I was a baby and am extremly nervous about contacting him.My advice would be pretty much the same as the other girls said and I hope this works out for you.Let us know how it goes! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wish you the best, Dee, and hope all went well. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast