Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Kenshinchan did a great job on the mission statement. I would suggest one change though. Disadvantaged can wrinkle some feathers sometimes. No one likes being told they aren't doing everything they should for their kids. So I would suggest something a little vaguer (I also filled in some charity explanation stuff that could easily be refined):

Doll Hugs is a not for profit, all volunteer organization. Our purpose is to bring joy, comfort and support to girls in need and their families, through the gift of quality dolls and accessories.

I would keep the mission statement short and sweet and have the details on how we find the girls and the other mechanics explained in an 'about us' section or some such. The details may change over time but the mission won't change so I think the mission statement should be pretty static. Just my opinion!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Girls in need" is much better!

I'm pretty sure the correct hyphenation is "all-volunteer" and "not-for-profit" (a lot of hyphens!). Any grammar fiends want to back me up? Hyphens are not my strong suit.

When IRS tax status has been determined, that would probably go in that slot (that's why I left it blank in my version...that and, I couldn't think of anything else to write there [img]redface.gif[/img] ).

I would also put a comma after "need," but I am comma-happy; that's more of a style thing.

So *I* personally would revise MuppetQuilter's excellent statement to:

Doll Hugs is a not-for-profit, all-volunteer organization. Our purpose is to bring joy, comfort and support to girls in need, and their families, through the gift of quality dolls and accessories.

Further revisions? Or change-it-backs? (It's like a giant game of telephone! [img]wink.gif[/img] )

EDIT: Meant to add, Mrs. C.'s lovely poem would be wonderful to have printed on cards and include with each doll!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 23, 2006 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Donna Cotterman

Bump Just keeping this one on the front burner.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Page 4 seemed a little buried for this thead. Anyone close to having anything we can auction to start the fundraising?

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been reading these threads on Doll Hugs for the past few days and this is just such a great idea!

I like the last version of the mission statement and the idea of incorporating Mrs. C.'s poem in some capacity.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before and I missed the post but have you thought about targeting a specific already organized group to find recipients for Doll Hugs gifts. I mean like going to Big Brothers Big Sisters or Make-a-Wish to see if they could find/help to insure the girls get Doll Hugs?

Again, this is a great idea! I hope it comes to fruition!

Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    "Girls in need" is much better!

I'm pretty sure the correct hyphenation is "all-volunteer" and "not-for-profit" (a lot of hyphens!). Any grammar fiends want to back me up? Hyphens are not my strong suit.

I would also put a comma after "need," but I am comma-happy; that's more of a style thing.

So *I* personally would revise MuppetQuilter's excellent statement to:

Doll Hugs is a not-for-profit, all-volunteer organization. Our purpose is to bring joy, comfort and support to girls in need, and their families, through the gift of quality dolls and accessories.

Further revisions? Or change-it-backs? (It's like a giant game of telephone! [img]wink.gif[/img] )

EDIT: Meant to add, Mrs. C.'s lovely poem would be wonderful to have printed on cards and include with each doll!

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ August 23, 2006 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm... I don't think you need the commas. It makes it too much or makes it sound like an afterthought. I'm going with my "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" rules though, which states you should have as little commas as possible.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

See, I figure "and their families" IS a bit of an afterthought, since it's the girls, and not the families, who are receiving the doll. That said, everything I've read says it's grammatically acceptable to have a comma at the end of a list, or not.

Commas aside, the second sentence as a whole is a bit long (I counted 24 words). But I'm not feeling inspired to revise at the moment; maybe someone else can? [img]redface.gif[/img] I suppose we COULD remove "and their families," if that aspect really is like an afterthought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Doll Hugs is a not-for-profit, all-volunteer organization. Our purpose is to bring joy and comfort to girls in need and their families through the gift of a doll.

I dunno. It's shorter but I like the original wordy version better. Mission statements can be wordy. They're frequently pretty pompous so I think a little wordiness is okay.

There's the truly long sentence version:

Doll Hugs is a not-for-profit, all-volunteer organization dedicated to bringing joy and comfort to girls in need and their families through gifts of quality dolls and accessories.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 25, 2006 12:39 AM: Message edited by: MuppetQuilter ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bumping this up as someone was asking what was going on. Anyone have an update? Working on outfits? Ideas for fundraising?

How about this, what do you think we should try to get to go with the Bitty Twins? I was thinking the BB 2 in 1 Travel outfit because it is really two outfits and a jacket so you get a lot for your money. The family is pretty conservative and I'm not sure they'd like the new BT school outfits. What about PJs or the hair care kit? What does everyone think? The girls are 4 and almost 2.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 27, 2006 10:18 PM: Message edited by: MuppetQuilter ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12