Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I gave Leang, my Asian AGT, a new wig. I only have analog video camera photos of her, so the wig doesn't show up well, but I uploaded a collage of what the wig looks like. It's really interesting to see the Asian doll with a different hairdo! This was the last doll makeover I could do...I'll really miss rewigging dolls--it's fun, and since many of my dolls are somewhat old, it makes them seem a little updated/nicer.

I wish I could share better photos of Leang...hopefully I can at some point. I'm also trying to think of an era she could be in. This is a doll I've had since around 1994, and I always had her as an AGT of 1994. Any ideas for an era? I wouldn't write stories about it, just sew a dress or two from the era.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/leang.jpg

[Edited to say: the hairstyle change makes her not look Asian any more! [img]eek.gif[/img] The only way to fix this would to maybe make an outfit that looks Asian. Or maybe I should have her be caucasian or Hispanic? I'm really inspired by the friends you all have made...she would sort of work for Linda (old illustrations) or Elizabeth, or one of Josefina's sisters maybe (?)...or something different altogether.]

<font color="#41356F" size="1">[ April 05, 2004 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How cute, Melissa! forums And I think she looks quite a bit like I would picture Molly's friend Linda. forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Jeanette! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I guess it's kind of nice to not know for now and be able to brain-storm. I've since tried her in historical clothes, and think she still looks Asian. I'm still hoping AG comes out with an Asian historical doll some time.

Thanks again!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Melissa, how about California in 1906 (San Francisco earthquake)? By then, many Chinese families had been in California for two or more generations and some had done very well for themselves. Plus that would make her a contemporary of Samantha's so there would be a ready source of clothes. Maybe they'd even meet someday.

Added: Just wanted to mention that if you're looking for inspiration, Scholastic did a book in its My Name is America series, first-person accounts by boys, called The Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852. It's by Laurence Yep (a terrific writer). I don't know of any book about a Chinese-American girl in 1906 or anything close to that but perhaps some day Scholastic will add one in its Dear America series.

<font color="#41356F" size="1">[ April 06, 2004 03:35 PM: Message edited by: auri ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oooh...this is wonderful idea, thank you so much! I don't have Sam's patterns, but there are so many ones out there that could be adapted to look similar. I don't plan on writing stories, but it would still be great to read the book in order to know the background and more about the era. Thanks, auri!