Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT - How can you get a NY accent?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Isn't that funny about accents? You don't think you have one until someone else points it out.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL, I know exactly what you mean! I grew up in northern Illinois, and when my husband met me, he thought I had a little bit of a southern accent. About a year after we were married one of my friends from HS came to visit and she told me that I had gotten a Wisconsin accent. I didn't think we had accents-weird words yes (how many boardmembers know what a bubbler is?)-but it seems to me that most people on tv sound like they are from the midwest.

I remember the Benny Southstreet character (we went to our kids production for all 6 shows [img]redface.gif[/img] ) and if I'm remembering correctly he is sort of a not too bright guy that would be a lot of fun to play. In our small town, kids have a lot more opportunity to be involved in school activities. Almost everyone that tries out for a play will get some type of part. Amanda can't sing, but she had lots of little parts in G&D, and I think it made trying out a lot less stressful. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. Let us know as soon as you hear anything.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Someone mentioned my second favorite movie
    NEWSIES!!!! Yes I love that move only second to Titanic, but it had so much fake accents it was funny! Racetrack Higgins was pretty accurate but then again he was from NY.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha, yeah, I grew up in Jersey, but closer to Philly than New York, so my accent is a bit mixed and time in PA got rid of some of that, but is still enough to have people around here notice it and tease me for it- especially words like "water," "chocolate," and "coffee." The Newsies' accents are pretty fake, but they definitely do give a good idea of what parts of words need to be exaggerated.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 28, 2006 03:57 PM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good luck to your DS--I hope he gets the part he wants! [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

My DS got to play the part of Nathan Detroit in his middle school's production of "Guys and Dolls Jr"( a cut-to-the-bone version of "Guys and Dolls").

Of course, not as much is expected of the actors at the middle school level, but the kids had a great time doing it, and turned out a pretty terrific production! I enjoyed it immensely (especially once I got past "Sky Masterson" having braces on his teeth! [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123