Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions, Advice please!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you have your eye on Kit, she's a very good doll; her hair is very manageable. Don't worry about it getting dirty; lots of people on the board have washed their dolls' hair, so it's not that big of a deal. It's true, though; all the dolls are made for little girls, so they're MADE to be lugged around! (I think it's very sweet that you plan to lug yours. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] )

As Becnicjamsar said, once Emily comes out, you can actually call up American Girl and order her Meet Outfit as a "replacement part". You could then put it onto any doll, but if you're worried about historical accuracy, I think it would look best on Kit or Molly (or, of course, Emily). I know at least a couple people here plan to buy it for their Kit dolls. So if you JUST like the outfit, that's the way to go, although if you like Emily the doll, she's a good choice.

Anyway, welcome to the board! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome and Happy Birthday!!! [img]graemlins/cake.gif[/img]

You are not the only one that buys a doll for comfort. I received my first doll when I was in my thirties and she really helped me work through the memories of an abusive childhood. It was my husband's idea that having a doll like me as a child would be a good way for me to reparent myself. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] It really did help.

I am now 45 and have been dealing with a crippling disease for many years. A few years back, I was really bad and unable to walk on my own. My husband bought me a laptop and I connected with the cyber world. I enjoyed seeing other people's doll pics and chatting online. I have also done some buying and a tiny bit of selling on ebay. Except for a Lindsey doll, the rest of the things I sold did not get me much money after the fees from ebay and paypal. The experience was also pretty nerve wracking and not something I am eager to do again.

Money was very tight for the first fifteen years of our marriage and I was lucky to even get the one doll. The past five years have been easier and I have asked for AG things for birthdays and Christmas. I now have clothes, accessories, and more dolls. Each doll has her own personality and I play with different ones depending on my mood, though Kit and Samantha seem to come off the shelf the most. I love Kit's easy to care for hair and how much easier she is to change as her hair doesn't get near the velcro.

Samantha is my comfort doll. Even though I was not an orphan, there were many days that I wished I was. I feel like Samantha understands loneliness. I also find that brushing her long hair can be very calming after a hard day.

Addy is my other comfort doll. She has the softest hair that feels so nice against my cheek. She also understands my fears. She has been through so much. She has had to be courageous and she moved to a far away place. I was very ill when we moved from Michigan to Virginia and in danger of becoming one of those people that never leave the house. The move forced me to confront my fears. It also made me even sicker for awhile, but hitting bottom may have been a good thing as I have since learned how to pace myself better and listen to my body. I rest now when it says rest and we are getting along much better these days. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also fell in love with Emily while reading Molly's book. Emily at first appears to be very fragile, but she is actually very strong. As you will also be traveling to a foreign country, Emily could also be a good choice as a comfort doll.

I have Lupus so I am in pain all the time and allergic to many things. I adore the feel of nice soft fabrics and have passed up beautiful doll clothes just because I did not like the way that they felt. Samantha's Talent Show dress and her Lawn Party dress were two outfits that just didn't feel right.

My favorite outfits are all of the PJ's, with Samantha's and Addy's being my absolute favorites. I adore Addy's Work dress and Samantha's Play dress. Some other favorites are: Kit's Overalls, Kit's School Dress, Kit's Reds Fan outfit, Addy's Summer dress, Addy's Flower Picking dress, Addy's Christmas Tartan Plaid dress, Josefina's Christmas dress, and Josefina's Summer Riding outfit.

Have fun choosing and be sure to let us know what you decide. I also hope you have fun here on hostboard. This is a great group of people of all ages and we all love the AG dolls. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 16, 2006 10:31 AM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] I am so happy you joined!!
    Thanks for sharing your story with us. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
    I think Kit would be a great doll for you also, or Nellie would be wonderful too. They both have great hair. Don't worry about getting their hair dirty. If neccessary their hair can always be washed, just be careful not to get water in their eyes.
    Mary Carly, I appreciate hearing your story too, thank you for sharing it. It is very inspiring!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This is a great board!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just wanted to mention one more of my favorite outfits. It is Addy's Striped dress and it is on clearance right now for $10. This is a great dress that looks good on many dolls. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board!

As for getting a "new" doll, have you considered eBay? New dolls aren't as soft and snuggly as they used to be, so a pre-Mattel doll might be better. It's up to you, though. I have a variety of newer and older dolls, but it's the older dolls that get cuddled more.

Polly Marie

<font size="4">WELCOME!</font>
    Kit is a lovely doll and easy to maintain. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    As Becnicjamsar said, once Emily comes out, you can actually call up American Girl and order her Meet Outfit as a "replacement part".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Will they do that immediately, though? It seems that as a replacement, the CS folks might not be inclined to sell it right away.

But whether or not I get Kit or Emily (and I'm leaning towards one of those or a new JLY because it'd be weird dressing Addy in more modern clothes, and I think I'm going to go with a shorter haired doll, for reasons y'all mentioned), I want their meet outfits, so I suppose it's worth trying, or I could ask my family to get them for me for Christmas/graduation.

Also, do the clothes have fabric content on the tags? Or, if I called the CS, would they be able to tell me what the content is? I've been looking at the website a lot over the last few years, but I've not actually seen content, except like in Kirsten's winter sweater it says "This outfit is made from soft wool to keep her warm" or something.

I suppose I could call them directly to ask, but I'm not very able to use the telephone, and my little brother is going to make my order for me when I finally decide. (Even if he does laugh at me wanting a doll! But he's only 16, so I guess he's just being a boy.)

Thank you very much for the advice! I love the picture in your sig, MaryCarly. Your book collection looks so good! My shelf isn't quite so pretty, because I've got really old Boppsey Twins and Nancy Drew and Dana Girls books next to the AG, and they're all a little tattered from age.

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] <font color="#e576c1">--- Keri ---</font> [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board! I know you are going to like it here! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am sure CS would help you with fabric content. If the phone doesn't work well for you, try email. You can email CS at:
    [email protected]
    If you explain you have a serious wool allergy and list the outfits you are interested in I'm sure they will get back to you with the info. If they don't please post and I'll call and bug them about it. My DD has serious allergies and these things need to be taken seriously. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think Emily's meet outfit will be available pretty fast. At least I'm planning on getting it for Christmas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast