Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really want to try my hand at sewing for my dolls. Especially more so Kit/Molly/Emily type dresses-I love the clothes from that time.

I don't want pricey patterns because I am a beginner. And as a beginner, I don't want patterns that I would need to make alternations to as well.

Can anyone help me? My grandma is an excellent seamstress so I'm sure she can help me if I run into problems. I just need to know where to look!

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In my experience, Simplicity patterns are the easiest/cheapest patterns around. The only one I saw that looks in the ballpark of Molly/Emily/Kit is 4347. I THINK you can go to http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?....cfm&nomatch=1 and search for 4347 (in the second/number search box) to view it and see if you'd like it. If you like it, and if you have a JoAnn's nearby, just watch their website and see when the next sale on the patterns is. If you're patient you can pick the pattern up for $1! I just made a dress with a Butterick pattern and it wasn't too hard, so you'd probably do OK with one of those if they are on sale.

Good luck with your project! Please share it with us when you're done. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are several McCalls/ Butterick patterns that are fairly simple as well. I think it was McCall's that had a set that claimed to be 1950's. Several patterns seem to fit the Molly era though and are very cute. I haven't gotten that set yet, so I don't know the number. If you have a Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnne's about wait for the sales. You can easily stock up on lots of patterns for $1-2 each.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! Unfortunately the only craft store we have is A.C. Moore [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really like the Joan Hinds patterns and you can get them off amazon.com

A very talented seamstress on the board (whose name I do not remember, sorry) has spoke against them, saying they teach very strange ways to do basic techniques, but I- a fairly basic level sewer- have had great success with them.

My favorite are "sew today's fashions for 18" dolls" they are designed specifically for, and modeled on AGs.

Another favorite is 12 dancing princesses, but these dresses are much more difficult. That and many other patterns can be found at www.infinitefreedom.com

I've also used craft store patterns for 18" dolls. Buy them on sale at Joanns or Hobby Lobby- full price is way too expensive.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Walmart discounts their patterns 50%, so if you don't have a Joann's available, that's the next best deal. They carry Simplicity and McCAlls.
    Vogue has a couple of patterns that are "time period" perfect for Molly, Emily, and Kit, but those can be more difficult to follow.
    Don't buy any of the vintage patterns from online websites, because a lot of those don't have clear markings. The seam allowance isn't marked, and even darts and tucks are just marked with holes and dots. The instructions aren't easy to follow, either, although, depending on the age of your grandmother, those may be the type of patterns she grew up with. I know that a lot of my mothers' patterns were that type.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I usually use Simplicity or Butterick patterns, those seem to be the easiest. Though I just made Linsi a skirt without a pattern, and it turned out fine.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like the Morrissey patterns best. They are very simple and straight forward. Simplicity and Butterick are good as well, but I think Morrissey can be a little simpler. Just stay away from Vogue patterns-- they are not for beginners.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MuppetQuilter:
    I like the Morrissey patterns best. They are very simple and straight forward. Simplicity and Butterick are good as well, but I think Morrissey can be a little simpler. Just stay away from Vogue patterns-- they are not for beginners.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just checked out that site, and the box pleated dress is so cute! It looks like a Molly or Kit outfit as well.
    I find it's easy to start out with a simple circle skirt (like the poodle one) and shirt with little detailing/addons. I don't like sleeves, myself. The hardest thing about doll clothes I think is hemming since the hem has to be really small. A simple dress would be good too. Pleats are actually really easy; you can just sew them in (but then you have to iron them).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

McCalls 4336 is another possibility (although probably more 1920's-1930's style.

Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast