Thread: Here is how I have been entertaining myself

emsmombuysdolls
    Since I am stuck on my tushie, I thought I would break out the sewing machine. Some of the ladies on this board are so talented! You have inspired me. I would love to create great looking historical outfits for the dollies. Since my sewing specialty is my kids' Halloween costumes, I thought I would start basic and build. I finished Kaya's first. Then I had her standing in a spot where DD could see her when she came home. DD was really happy. Now I am dying for someone to take me to the fabric store!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2102125448

*AG Star*

Beautiful dresses! You're a natural at sewing doll clothes! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You did a great job. Are you going to work on costumes next?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow-they are gorgeous! You should continue sewing dollie sleeves for a living!

-Jordyn

emsmombuysdolls

I am going to make a Belle costume to match DD. Then I want to try really detailed historical outfit for Addy and Harriet. They look great in bright colors. Hobby Lobby had patterns for $.99 each! I had my friend clean them out of 18" patterns. Thanks for all the compliments! *pats self on back, then thanks cast for forcing me to sit for a LONG time*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So cute! They look nicely-sewn. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

It IS hard to do doll clothes, isn't it? But have you tried the advice I think I read from Taffy Cheerful? On doll clothes, do as much work as you can while everything is flat. That means, try to even gather the sleeves at the wrist/bicep BEFORE you sew the arm seams together. It means you have to do a touch of matching ends up when you stitch the sleeves together, but I did it on Nellie's nightgown anyway and the sleeves matched up fine. (I suspect that since even the longest doll sleeve should be just a foot long and a few inches wide, but a people sleeve can be at least 2 feet long, it's probably easier to match seams on doll clothes, since there's less space for the seams to get out of line.)

Anyway, the sleeves seem much easier doing it that way, than by sewing them up the way you'd do people sleeves. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a wonderful way to recuperate! Those dresses are lovely--very nice fabric choices for both of them. Plus, I enjoy seeing Kaya in different types of outfits and your Lindsey is so pretty. You couldn't have chosen better models, IMHO.

I can't sew at all, but I swear you all are really making me want to try to learn!

[img]smile.gif[/img] Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOVELY dresses! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And Kenshinchan is right--that's the best method I know of to sew doll sleeves (though I'd never claim to be any great authority!). [img]redface.gif[/img]

What a great way to be productive as you recuperate!

I need to sew more doll clothes, but right now I'm working on custom-made backgammon board bags (long story)--though I'm intending to carve out some time for some dollie clothes for my 2 nieces' birthday presents tomorrow! [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Cute dresses and models! Glad that you found something that is creative and fun to do while recuperating.