Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unloading some of the "stash" closet!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Diana has been playing so sweetly for the last week with Kirsten and Felicity, it's been fun listening to her and their "conversations".

Anyway, last night, I figured, "oh well, why am I just leaving all this stuff sitting in hiding?" I've had almost all of Kirsten's collection since the 1st Samantha movie code!

She already had Kirsten's bed and nightstand and table, as xmas presents from her auntie two years ago, so this morning, I broke out lots of little accessories for her.

*school bench
    *school bag
    *school lunch
    *pottery set
    *birthday cake and strawberries
    *nighttime necessities
    *striped summer dress and fishing gear

Felicity and Kirsten have already gone fishing, cooked the fish over the AGT firepit, and now they're having a party with cake!

I know it was a lot all at one time, but hey, it's only money spent a long time ago, right? [img]redface.gif[/img]

Laurie

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 11, 2006 09:42 AM: Message edited by: dianasmama ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My husband's line when I feel guilty about over spending (usually on the kids) is it's only money, I can make more. Love that about him. He had a pretty rough childhood growing up. He and I beleive that they're only little for so long and if it makes them happy (and they don't act like spoiled brats) it's ok to give them things for no reason. I'm sure there are many others who would disagree with me, I have quite a few friends who do, but everyone should do what's right for them. So good for you and your daughter.
    Alicia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is nothing wrong with a little Christmas in July- oops August. Now she can really enjoy the things and not be overwhelmed with the whole Christmas thing. I think it's great! I hope Kirsten and Felicity have a wonderful day [img]biggrin.gif[/img] .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like doing that too! I love giving Jillian little surprises throughout the year. In my head, I figure their cost in with Christmas and Birthday gifts, but ration the items out throughout the year.

We just took a trip to the beach and I took along a new pajama and robe set for Kirsten in my suitcase. Jillian was so excited when I showed it to her as we were getting ready for bed the first night. She said, "Oh, Mom you shouldn't have!" and grinned from ear to ear!

I'm sure Diana is going to have a wonderful day playing with the new things! ENJOY! [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am just like you!!!!! I give the girls toys and games through out the year. Life is too short and they grow up too fast and I get great pleasure out of seeing them play and have fun, so it is worth it to me!!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    It is fun to surprise them sometimes too and give them gifts for no reason!!! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 11, 2006 10:11 AM: Message edited by: cassieandnicolesmom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's nothing like the looks on their faces when they get presents they weren't expecting! If she had been begging you to buy her more stuff or demanding it or generally being a spoiled brat it would be very different. But when she has been sweetly playing with her dolls and you want to give her a gift because you love her and enjoy her enjoyment? You know, as moms we deal with a lot-- sick kids, nightmares in the middle of the night, laundry, driving them umpteen places-- listen to Kirsten and Felicity have their party and enjoy!!!

Good for you, don't feel guilty at all. Also, I agree with what someone else said, Christmas can be overwheming and getting some special treats now can allow her to concentrate on them and get more pleasure out of the gift.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 11, 2006 10:31 AM: Message edited by: MuppetQuilter ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI,

Sounds like you & Diana had a really fun day that she will remember for a very long time. As a rule of thumb my kid's only get things for special occassions. I am also left with the problem of, if I buy for one I must buy for the other two or feel guilty about it, which can get $$$. Now having said that my kid's get gifts for: Valentine's Day, Easter, end of school year, start of school year, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthday's, and during long vacation car rides. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] . LOL. I even make up reasons....like a challenge to read 50 books this summer was rewarded with a new book (Kit's World, what else but AG for DD?...DS opted for Magic Tree House Books) I do draw the line at buying toys at the store. We never have gotten toys when we get groceries or go to the mall. A treat when we go out is usually a can of soda (liquid gold since we do not have them at home...just milk & juice).

Like other's have said, do what works for you & your family. In the end a happy child is the result we all desire. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Laurie!

I had to LOL when I read the topic of this post because my stash has also just been greatly depleted over the past few weeks. My DD, Maggie, & I have been having so much fun with the dolls recently that I just kind of caved and said "why am i saving all this stuff in the closet?"

She's been having dollie sleepovers where the dolls sleep either at the foot of her bed or on a pillow right next to her bed on the floor and of course the dolls all want to wear pj's, so out come the Bell Sleeved pj's and Jess's pj's. Now everyone has a pair. Then since it has been so hot here all of the dolls wanted to have swimwear/summer clothes on so out come the Tropical Breezes and Jess's kayaking outfit.

But this has all provided us with hours of fun entertainment so I feel like it is definitely worth decreasing the stash. Thank heavens for that $10 coupon...the stash can be replenished :-)

I too try very hard not to cave in and buy toys when we are out shopping together. I'm much more of a surprises-stashed-away kind of a mom. I do however buy inexpensive books for DD when shopping since I figure the educational aspect is good to promote & DD isn't allowed to have soda yet either.

Hope you & your DD have a great time with Kirsten's things. If you've got any comments or reviews on the fishing set please share them. I'm contemplating getting that because DD's grandpa is teaching her how to fish--she caught 3 by herself with her own pole a few weeks ago at the lake. Astonishing to me since she is only almost 4...

Thanks, Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

awww, thanks everyone, you're making me feel so much better.

But remember, I also just ordered Molly for her with all her money she had saved up from tooth fairy, allowances, dollars from grandmas, and that hot day lemonade stand!

She should be coming in the big brown truck today, so it will really be a very happy AG kind of day!

Plus, I have a *special* surprise for her and will show you all later as well!

Laurie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Katie: the fishing pole set is adorable!

At age 4 though, is she very careful with her things? Even with Diana, age 6, this morning, we went over all the items bit by bit, but that fishing pole is very fragile, let me tell you! It comes in 2 pieces that you just sort of stick together, but it's out of almost like a balsa wood. There is a long string and a cork bobber and a hook. The fish are pre "hooked". There are also very cute bugs of some kind ?, and a frog.

Diana even found a small little black bear, she was pretending the bear was going after Felicity's and Kirsten's fish!

You know, this stuff has been here for 2 years because I just wouldn't give her many things w/o it being an occasion. I'm tired of that. I have so much put away, if I don't start giving it to her soon, I'll have to give it to her daughters! [img]eek.gif[/img]

Happy dolly day everyone! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast