Thread: I found this odd...(dating dolls)

Inactive Member agcollector293110's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Someone was mentioning in a post about the dates of certain dolls. I was then intrigued to go see what my dolls body tags said. I have four dolls that I KNOW are premattel and I couldn't find a body tag on them. I am almost positive they weren't cut off. Does anyone else have a premattel doll lacking body tags (that were not cut off)? Also if someone has a chance, if they could look in my album and see if my Lissie is the premattel with the redder hair and greener eyes? In another post it was mentioned that some premattels do not have these traits. Im thinking 1996/7 as the purchase date for both the Lissie and the Samantha sitting on the bed. I was also wondering when mattel started making all the changes. I KNOW they didn't all happen at once because I remember things changing, and trying to keep up with it all. Sorry I have so many questions I never really thought about all this before!!!!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 03, 2007 10:41 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't worry! Most PMs do NOT have body tags. Only a few do, and most of them are from the early 1980s or early 1990s. Then the company started putting body tags BACK on the dolls around 1997-98 that said "made in Hungary", or "made in China" for a few years, then stopped putting them on again. Most of these are Mattel dolls from what I've seen. Just because your doll does not have a body tag doesn't mean it's NOT Pre Mattel. My 1991 Molly does not have one, and I purchased her NEW from Pleasant Company as a kid. However, I had a Pre Mattel Samantha that did have a body tag that said Made in the USA, 1986 for Pleasant Company. She was from about 1989-1990. It really just depends on what factory the doll came from (that's what I've understood). Hope this helps!

*edited to say that the best way to tell if your doll is PM is to look at the eyelashes. The PM dolls have soft eyelashes that match their hair. Also, most PM dolls have fatter bodies and squeezable vinyl. I think your Lissie is PM, but her hair looks more auburn to me, which is what Pleasant Company went to after about 1995. I'd need a better pic of her hair close up.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 22, 2006 11:09 AM: Message edited by: molly*belle717 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks...and I had my doubts about Josefina too. Now I feel better AND I know that at least five of my girls are premattel. I will need to check some more later!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! Your displays are awesome!!! I am getting ready to install some shelves in my daughter's room. Could you tell me how deep your shelves are? I found some shelves at Lowes that are 20 inches and are hoping that they will work. Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really love your displays! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] Your dolls are very lucky to have such a wonderful AG Mom to take care of them. [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img] You make me want to rush home and play with my dolls. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would say that your Felicity doll is PM, but not the really red hair. It is harder without a close up of the face and even then it is difficult since the color difference is hard to show in a photo. If her hair is the really red color, it is significantly lighter and redder than her eyelashes. I hope this is helpful.
    ~Stacie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wicksasc, your lissie is gorgeous!