Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I came across this in a blog about marketing.

http://www.joelwarady.com/blog/2006/...kin_to_me.html

Here's a paragraph:

"I don?t know about you, but I sense a marketing opportunity here. Someone will be smart and start an independent site for American Girl aficionados to speak to one another. They will build the site up, get hundreds of thousands of members, and when they reach critical mass, a Mattel executive will get wind of the site, and offer a few million dollars to buy the site, and its member information."

Hah hah! Is someone here trying to make lots of $$$?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think he's exactly right about the power of marketing through groups like the club (and Mattel's short-sightedness when it comes to that investment). Sad, but true. I've noticed some other doll makers encourage and/or moderate internet groups about their dolls, which I think is very smart. What better way to find out what the buyers are thinking (and build excitement about new releases).

Kim

joelanddeborah

I think he's right. Just imagine how much money we AG fans have spent purely because of the pictures, reviews, descriptions and excitement about new items these few boards have produced!

My opinion, though it's not worth much, is that there is a bit of a control issue here, and that is why American Girl does not want to cater to its adult collectors. There are decision makers sitting somewhere who want to hold onto their control of the company, and limit outside influence. They know the money situations--we don't, they know what is "easy" to make--we don't, and they know what is coming in the future--we don't.

If they just could listen to consumers a little more, as this article states, they would probably make even more money than they already are. That's why I think it's not a money issue, but a concern about control.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Deborah and Girls:
    My opinion, though it's not worth much, is that there is a bit of a control issue here, and that is why American Girl does not want to cater to its adult collectors. There are decision makers sitting somewhere who want to hold onto their control of the company, and limit outside influence. They know the money situations--we don't, they know what is "easy" to make--we don't, and they know what is coming in the future--we don't....That's why I think it's not a money issue, but a concern about control.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Deborah, I think you make a good point - and might have hit the nail right on the head.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most companies have NO IDEA how much a dedicated fan base can affect sales. Just in the last two weeks I have seen fans, or rather ex-fans, greatly affect the sales of an item.

I'm a cross-stitcher. There is one designer in the industry who is known for being a nasty woman who constantly accuses others of plagiarism. About 6 weeks ago she blasted a designer in Italy, who I happen to be a big fan of and a moderator at her English language message board. Because of that one incident, her newest pattern hasn't even made the best-seller lists at the two biggest online needlework shops. People who would have bought it absolutely refuse. And some needlework store owners are completely phasing out this lady's three design lines.

Now she's complaining and crying that nobody likes her designs anymore. And all because her own attitude finally caught up with her. Stitchers who have been fans of this lady for YEARS are selling all of their designs by her.

Marketing companies and sales departments greatly under-estimate the power that a dedicated fanbase posseses.