Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to take away my girls' AG's!!!!

Inactive Member american_girls_4_us's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, you did the right thing. If my girls leave their dolls in an uncared for state (lying around), they get taken and put on display in my home office. Now questions asked. They are mine for a few days.

Pat yourself on the back for being a great mom!

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree that you did the right thing. By helping your kids to see that in life there are consequences for their actions and choices, you are preparing them for life in the outside world, where there definitely are consequences for our actions and choices.
    Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to chime in with everyone else. Absolutely the right thing to do. It's a natural consequence, which I really like: these are very special dolls and if you don't want to take care of them, you don't need to have them. I do not mean to downplay the significance of saying their rooms were clean when they weren't-- that's also a big deal and it is important for kids to learn their actions have consequences and they are accountable. Two lessons for the price of one.

I have taken my daughter's Bitty Baby away over night. It's only happened a couple of times and it is pretty awful for everyone, but it definitely makes a point. Last time it happened my husband took her and he actually made a little bed for her in our room and tucked her in with a blanket. It was so cute.

It's hard not to beat yourself up after you've had to do something like that, but truly, you did the right thing. Better a rough night now than no sense of responsibility at 25.

You sound like a very good mom-- not only do you get your kids fabulous dolls, but you are also helping them learn how to be productive adults. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with everyone else - stick to your guns on this one mommy! I don't have kids, but I am a child (all grown up now) of a mom who would not have hesitated to do this. And, I have to say, when it comes time to teaching lessons and punishment you have to take away something that is meaningful. Believe me, they will appreciate the lessons you have taught them someday. I really do appreciate what my parents did for me - though, like your daughters, there were tears and some anger in those moments when I was being punished.
    Additionally, how lucky for your daughters to have a mom who cares and loves them so much. Being a parent is a difficult job - I can't even begin to imagine. I pray that I will have your strength and compassion when it is my time to be a mother.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You did the right thing. Your girls need to learn that there will be consequences if they don't cooperate.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I totally agree that you did the right thing. I have often had issues with my DD over keeping her room clean. She is now finally at the age where she can keep it organized herself at age 11. I often will not let her play with friends, watch TV or go on the computer until her room is clean.

The one major downfall to AG is trying to keep the ever growing collection organized. It is so tempting for me (and both grandmas) to buy my DD cute hair accessories, jewelry and AG items, that I have to restrain from buying too much. I am not doing her a favor by giving her more than she can keep organized as my DH likes to tell me. [img]redface.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 19, 2006 12:25 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12