Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AG story moments that strike a cord (possible book spoilers)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by American_Mommy:
    It always brings tears to my eyes when Kit recognizes her own Father in line at the soup kitchen. I think that is when everything really hits home for Kit.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Me too! Me too! I've read the Kit books on my own and now I'm reading them to my daughter. She got tears in her eyes at that part too. I get so happy when Kit saves enough money to give to her Mom for the electric bill. Lydia was jumping up and down on her bed when we got to that part of the story. She was so excited and happy for Kit's family...........I love these books!
    [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Definitely the most poignant moment in any AG book for me is when Addy is reunited with Poppa in Addy's Surprise. I *never* cry or tear up at books or movies, but I'll admit I cried at that scene, all the way through to the the end when Poppa realizes that Addy has learned how to read. It's one of the only books in the world that has the honor of making my tear ducts of stone melt. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was very sad (and upset, and angry) about Marta in the Kirsten books when I was little. Now that scene doesn't bother me AS much (still surprisingly sad, though!), but afterwards, when Kirsten is looking out in the rain (since there's no sun in Minnesota) and quietly prays, "God bless you, Marta"... [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]

Kit and Sterling's discovery of Grace is SO tragic! I also find the scenes between Sterling and Kit's father to be very poignant; I know there's a lot of boys out there who don't have a man in their lives like they should, and so I think it's really sweet that he's trying to get that from Kit's dad.

The whole factory speech was very touching (I think I like Samantha's earlier books better than the old ones!). And even though I saw it coming from a mile away, the speech where Nellie and Samantha come clean to each other in "Nellie's Promise" is very sweet too.

I don't know if I was feeling really emotional at the time or what, but Josefina's first three books had me teary-eyed so many times...the story of the doll is what's sticking out now, but really, so much of it...(luckily I don't have the same kind of sadness she has, but it made me think of a friend's role-play character, of all things, as a poor sad motherless little girl... [img]frown.gif[/img] ) Actually, I grew to love Josefina so much as a poor motherless little girl who needs a hug, I really didn't like the later books, where she became more independent (and where something I saw coming from miles away happened by the end)...I liked her better when I felt like I could comfort her.

Addy's reunion with her father and her brother are both very sweet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always sniffle a bit when Felicity lets Penny go in the first book because I love horses so much, and it would be heartbreaking to let a horse I was so attached to go, even if it was for her own good. But I love the reunion in Felicity Saves the Day when Grandfather gets Penny for her. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Meet Samantha makes me a little sad but happy, too, at the end when Samantha gives Lydia to Nellie, mainly because Sam wanted the doll so much because it reminded her of her mother, but she gave it to Nellie because she felt worse that her friend had never had a doll. I always liked the sampler Samantha stitched that said "Actions Speak Louder Than Words". How true!

I always cry a little when Kit and Stirling find poor Grace abandoned in the street in the rain. It always broke my heart that she had that sign tied around her neck that said her owner couldn't feed her anymore, especially because I knew that was probably common back during the Depression. [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]
    But on a happier note, my favorite Kit moment is when she gets published in the paper instead of Uncle Hendrick! Being in the journalism profession myself, I totally value that feeling of getting your first piece published (in any medium!).

I loved Molly's Surprise when they hear Dad on the radio on Christmas day, and how happy Molly was when she got picked for the Miss Victory show. Molly and Felicity are probably my two favorite book series. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm such a softie that I sit and cry over all the books when I read them; but for me, the most heart-wrenching book is Meet Addy. Maybe it's because I read them first as a mother myself; but the scenes that "get" me the most are the overseer making Addy eat the worms, the leaving behind of Baby Esther, and Addy rescuing her Momma from drowning as they swim the river to get to freedom. I get tears and a lump in my throat just thinking about those moments!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 04, 2006 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12