Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking Taking Dolls Out Now?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know that the situation Katie just went through with losing Marisol - and finding her again, thank goodness - has made me think very hard about not taking my dolls out. I haven't so far, for fear of something like this happening and now my fears were proven to not be so off base. For now at least, my girls aren't going*****her then the fence around our yard!

Does anyone else feel a little hesitant to take their dollies back out now, knowing that the worst CAN happen?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am always a little worried when we take the dolls out. I fear they will leave them somewhere and I will be preoccupied and not notice until it is too late.
    Once Nicole left a Nintendo bag that she had just bought with her Birthday $ and over $300 worth of games in a Target cart and we never got the bag back. When I realized it, it was too late and the bag was gone and never turned in. Somebody must have been very thrilled to find that bag of goodies, but Nicole was crushed, she will never take her game bag in anywhere anymore.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes - I have been uncomfortable with taking the dolls out far from home. We always seem to leave something behind when we travel. I also worry about getting the dolls dirty. I guess I am an over-protective dolly mom. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always keep the dolls in a backpack or messenger bag and take the dolls out only when I need them. That way I don't feel as uncomfortable being an adult carrying around a doll and I have a lower risk of losing the doll or getting her dirty.

When I came home today, I carried Marisol and Allison into my apartment building in full view(I was too ecstatic to care and I wanted to get on Hostboard ASAP) and got a few strange looks. The only time I had a problem was when Marisol fell off the ledge, so ledges are major no-nos. But when I took her all around Millennium Park she was fine, and I kept her in my messenger bag until I found a spot to take her picture.

The doll should be posed so if she falls down you can easily pick her up, like on the ground or a LOW stair railing(I obviously learned that the HARD way). Marisol fell down many times when I was trying to pose her but we were always near the ground. Then pick the doll up and put her back in your bag until the next time you want to take her picture.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't be that concerned if I didn't have a lot of chaos around when we go out. Usually, my DD who is 11 has friends and when we travel, there are 5 of us with my sons. If it was just me (an adult) I am sure I could handle a doll on the town safely. Still, Katie, you put a big scare into all of us, I think. [img]eek.gif[/img] Poor Marisol! Such a big fall she took. [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a little overprotective of my dollies.

There's alot of pride in my doll collection, so I do the dance of loving them and enjoying them, but also keeping them displayable. (A process I've come to call Display N' Play, lol) So getting them dirty and damaged is a factor too. But also I would be so devestated if I lost one or they were somehow maimed or injured, so for me the stress of worrying about keeping them safe would take away from the fun of a dollie outting. For now, my girls are home bound, lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only place we regularly take any dolls is to Barnes & Noble for AG Club meetings -- and even then, I am a little nervous that Olivia is going to set her doll down somewhere and then have her disappear. I don't like to have a doll leave the house without me because I know that my parents (or whoever) would not be even remotely concerned with keeping an eye on the doll, and Olivia -- like most kids -- can be scatterbrained at times.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess it is different with kids. Since I don't have any I wouldn't know, but I did(and still do) lose many things and misplace them. And I don't really take my dolls many places, but even still I expect to be more cautious about them, especially the difficult to replace LEs. I have to find ways to have fun with my dolls in my apartment since they spend the vast majority of the time sitting pretty on my shelves. My studio apartment is very small so I have to be really creative with that.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 26, 2006 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon (Katie from IL) ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I take my dolls out (which I do a lot) I have only to attend to them, no kids! I always position the dolls very carfully and think about where they would fall if they did. I love taking my dolls out and about and think it is extreamly enjoyable. Just be careful and have fun! Even in pictures that look risky (like Jess beside the rushing stream) I make sure the dolls are safe. Don't be scared off, it is so fun!

Inactive Member american_girl_forever's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We should make ID tags for the dolls and put them on ribbons or chains, and they can wear them like necklaces when we take them out.

Once I left my Nintendo DS and it's case and games in my uncle's Rnt-a-Car. Never got it back.

So some kid is real happy that they have a DS they didn't even have to PAY for, and I was crushed.

I ended up getting another one with my own money, but I was soooo upset about the other one as it was a birthday present from my parents [img]frown.gif[/img] .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast