Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is a Molly doll for sale on eBay that has a body tag that says 1986. There is a picture of the tag--the color of the body looks beige. The owner says the doll was made in Germany and that it is one of the first AG dolls. Take a peek and tell us what you think.

Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I'm not sure which auction you're talking about, but chances are, if it has a beige body, it is not one of the first dolls. American Girl doll tags often have a copyright date of 1986, even if they were produced later. The first dolls have a white body and were made in Germany; by 1990 the dolls had beige bodies and production was soon moved to Germany.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you mean "by 1990 production moved to China"?
    Joy

ponydreamer

This is something I have always wondered about. My Addy, and my daughters AG's were purchased in the early 90's. I was assured by Pleasant company at that time that those dolls were made in Germany...and they all have beige bodies.

I remember the conversations quite well, because I was asking them why any of the American Girl items were made in other countries. That has never made sense to me....After all...they are "American Girl Dolls". I can now understand the dolls being made by Gotz...but the other items? NO....

Just my unsolicited opion...

Jenny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Felicity, at least, was made in Germany with a beige body in the early '90s. My Felicity that my sister got in 1991 is tagged on the dress "made in west germany." So I think they did make them in Germany for awhile with beige bodies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The tag is like that telling when the dolls body was first used. Like some other dolls bodies you could go to the store like Toys R Us take a doll like Barbie off the shelves and on the butt of the doll it will say 1966 even if it was made this year since they just didn't change the body since then. It is harder for non-doll collectors to know this so they usally will just go by the date on the doll and then price or advertise accordingly. Although I am not complately sure I think Germany used the "skin tone" body in Germany before Mattel took them over.

Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if production was in China by 1990, but I know that when my sister got her first doll in that year, the bodies were already beige. I bet the dolls could still have been produced in Germany at the time, but I think within two years, they were definitely in China.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got my Judy her Felicity for Christmas 1993, and the dress tag says "Made in West Germany for Pleasant Company."

Inactive Member Starlightdreamer's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeanette,
    I'm confused a bit. [img]confused.gif[/img] I got my Felicity in 1993 (the same year as you) and her Meet dress tag says (and I just checked to make sure) that it was made in 1993 in China for Pleasant Company. (I pulled this thread up because I was trying to find out if I had a pre-mattel Felicity.) So does this mean that PC changed production to China in 1993? Does anyone know the year that Mattel took over? Thank you for your help! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ~Cynthia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Molly was purchased in early 1987. She has a beige body and her "meet" outfit has a tag that says it was made in West Germany (back then there was no "Germany"). The same is true for the Kirsten I bought a few months later. Only the Samantha I ordered in the fall of 1986 has a white body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast