Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Happy Birthday Molly...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I went to Barnes and Noble today and I saw some newer versus older Happy Birthday Molly books. I was eager to see if they changed the illustrations to make Emily's hair longer and sure enough they did.

Emily's hair signifigantly was lengthened in the illustrations of the new editions of the book and the line "It was gingery-red and absolutely straight, cut short" was edited so the "cut short" part was removed. I didn't buy the new edition of the book, but I have the old edition from my Molly box-set so I can't scan pics to show.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Though I hadn't thought about it before you brought it up, I'm not surprised the changes were made. (And I liked Emily's short hair. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) Well, at least her hair color stayed the same. Thanks for the update!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You are always terrific with the details Katie! I would not even have thought to look.I wonder why they made her hair longer? I personally thought Emily was cute with her short hair in the books. I guess she would look more like Kit if it was too short. She is a beautiful doll either way. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's funny that they lengthened her hair. Her length before reminded me a lot of a red-headed Lucy Pevinsie from Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. Just look at these pictures I found. It seems short hair was much more common than long among the british girls of the time.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/images/thumbnails/1145.jpg

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar...x/london15.jpg

I found a lot more pictures like this. But then, I guess its hard to play with shorter hair.

thepidget

I think AG wanted to give Emily longer hair so it would be easier for kids to style and play with it. Remember, AG just released the Perma-Wave kit along with Emily, so maybe they wanted little girls to feel like they could curl her hair along with Molly's. It would be a harder for them to do this, perhaps, if Emily's hair remained in a bob cut.

I'm not thrilled that AG lengthened Emily's hair, but at least they didn't change her hair color like they did to Elizabeth.

emsmombuysdolls

I find it interesting that they will change a book to go along with a product. It shows that they are paying attention to detail. I wish they would pay this much attention to all the things they sell i.e. Emily doesn't even have a doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To me that seems backwards that they do that. Changing the book to match something new they are adding years after the book was written. I am sure I am in the minority, but I wish they would just follow the book. My daughter is old enough to notice changes. I hope they don't do too much of this when they introduce Ruthie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi: It's all marketing - they test the dolls out on kids to see which they prefer. Trust me, they never ask me anything - number 1) I'm too old.

When Pleasant first introduced these dolls there was no thought of ever making these characters into dolls, so it was ok if Emily was drab - she wasn't the doll coming out.

Emily and Molly weren't even great friends. It's just that they didn't want to come out with two dolls, Linda and Susan.

I hope they don't change Ruthie because she's already so pretty. Maybe they'll fool us and come out with Sterling - the first American Boy doll. I hope not.

All the years my sons were growing up I was hoping they would come out with a line of boy dolls - now I don't care anymore. Don't write it's "American Girl", I know that, but it was Pleasant Company and they could have opened an American Boy branch of the company.

Well, if it's any consolation - they didn't make her hair very long.

I would like to see a JLY doll with short hair - similar to Kit's. When I was growing up we left our doll's hair alone (like I would never consider taking down Molly's braids) and to have a doll like Kit meant that we could comb or brush it and the style would still be there. It also doesn't get matted and knotty. It's easier for the younger girls to take care of. They'll probably do that when they make Molly's winter coat (never).

Does anyone besides me miss the fact that they aren't coming out with any new Historical dolls - I mean a whole new line, not just the friend doll and one book - but a doll with the first 3 of 6 books, Christmas, school, birthday, summer, winter and nightwear?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is there a nre copywrite date for this book or illustrations??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Carol, I would have liked to see a new historical too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast