Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD needs a Molly type outfit

emsmombuysdolls

DD is really into WW 2 right now because she is reading Molly books. We just finished PBS series 1940's house and she is all hyped up about finding organizations that reenact WW 2. I found one and they are having a reenactment along with a USO dance the end of Sept. How fun! Now DD needs some WW 2 clothes. If anyone spots any patterns out there (I can sew very well) or has some ideas, please pass them along. There is NO WAY I am paying ebay prices for DD sized Molly clothes. Also, any ideas for good books or movies that she might enjoy would be appreciated as well. I thought The Diary of Anne Frank would be our next stop.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would PM Taffy I think he may know of wear you can get 1940-1950 patterns...

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 26, 2006 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Samanthasmom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What size is your DD? Folkwear makes a nice 40s dance dress pattern that you might be able to make work. It takes very little fabric (fabric was rationed, after all) and is pretty easy so it wouldn't take long to make. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can often find vintage patterns on ebay for good prices. Keep in mind that pattern sizing has changed over the years (at least in women's sizes) so check measurements.

Here are a couple sites that might have patterns to help you:

vintage patterns 1

Vintage Patterns 2

I have had luck looking at pictures from the 40s (and 50s) and finding current patterns that are close enough or easily adapted. The vintage reproduction fabrics available in quilt stores might be a good choice.

As far as books, I don't remember the author but there is a novel called "After the Dancing Days" that, I believe, takes place shortly after WWII. Your daughter may not be old enough for it yet, but it is well thought of among children's publishers/authors.

If you get into Anne Frank, there is a non-fiction children's author who has recently published several books on the Holacaust for kids, Susan Goldman Rubin. Her titles include "The Cat with the Yellow Star: Coming of Age in Terezin" and "Fireflies in the Dark." There is another, the title escapes me at the moment. about men in a concentration camp who secretly sewed an American flag-- they had faith the Americans would come and they would be saved-- but they had to guess at the number of stars on the flag and sewed on too many. When the Americans finally did arrive, the men presented the flag and the Americans flew it over the camp. It's a picture book.

You might see if a ballroom dance studio near you does a Friday or Saturday night swing open dance-- many do. You pay a few dollars to get in and get a mini lesson and plenty of time to try out your new skills. Might be fun.

I know there are other good 40s books for kids but my mind is blanking right now. It is hard to beat the Molly books, though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry that first link didn't work in my last post.

My mother teaches 4th grade and suggested:

Mary Downy Hahn. She writes stories set in the 40s (many in the DC/Maryland area). Often they are mysteries or have a mystery in them. Good for older 4th graders

Lois Lowry's "Number the Stars." This might be a more gentle introduction to the Holacaust than Anne Frank and might be good to read first.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" she thinks this one is set in the 40s but we might be wrong on that.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" This one might be the 30s, but it raises race issues that are true for America in the 40s. Might be too old a book for your DD now, but you might be able to watch the movie together.

emsmombuysdolls

Thanks for all your help DD is going into the 4th grade and is a size 12. I gotta check out those patterns!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, Molly's school jumper is pretty easy to copy. You can find a skirt pattern that is similar (may need to be lengthened) and just add a rectangular bib top and straps. You might even be able to find a close match in the plaid.

If she wears a 12, I bet the Folkwear pattern wouldn't be too far off. The smallest Folkwear size is pretty close to a woman's 0 or 2. You'd probably have to adjust the bust some, though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Movies Molly might have watched include Elizabeth Taylor's debut in National Velvet, which Emily would enjoy too because it's set in England. Check out Angela Lansbury as a teenager! Also Snow White and some of the other early Disney cartoons would have been very popular. Disney did a lot of propoganda cartoons for the war, too, but they'd be hard to find.

For clothes, why not follow the story in Molly's birthday and wear a navy cardigan, navy skirt, white blouse, white socks and saddle shoes? Do they still sell saddle shoes? I used to wear them in junior high!

Fabric for clothing was rationed during WWII so skirts were short and more A-line than gathered. Pleats would have been not deep pleats, just enough to add a bit of fullness around the waistline. However Molly did want to have her mother cut down one of her dressing gowns for her Halloween costume, so if your daughter wants a full skirt to swing in, you could look for a silky flowered fabric that might once have been a robe. My mother had one with big roses on it that I loved to dress up in.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sakurako:
    For clothes, why not follow the story in Molly's birthday and wear a navy cardigan, navy skirt, white blouse, white socks and saddle shoes? Do they still sell saddle shoes? I used to wear them in junior high!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First off, saddle shoes, like Mary Janes, are never going out of style. The style is just too classic. They should be coming into stores about now as saddle shoes are a staple of "back to school".

If you are looking for saddle shoes for yourself and are unable to find them locally, you can always go to Muffy's online saddle shoe store. She has both new and old store stock saddle shoes in a variety of styles.

As to what you daughter could wear, might I suggest Molly's Birthday Party dress. It is a relatively simple design accented by rickrack-trimmed "fins" over the shoulders. I thought the sleeveless version, although appropriate for fabric-rationed wartime, was a bit bland and commissioned a version with short puffy sleeves for my girls:

<a>Apryl</a>

Check out the local fabric shop and look for a pattern close to it. It is not difficult to make.

Taffy

emsmombuysdolls

Molly's birthday dress is exactly what I was thinking! I am currently bidding on a pinafore pattern. I thought the material would be cheap and the pattern easy. I though about sleeves as well. Since we are going to be at a USO dance, it will get hot so I am going to stick with sleeveless.

MickeyFan

Originally posted by Sakurako:
    Do they still sell saddle shoes?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the great ideas! Yes, the still sell saddle oxfords. My daughter wears hers all the time. now they even have pink saddle shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast