Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also have a couple of dolls made in Germany, and agree there is a huge difference in the looks of a Pre-mattel and a Mattel doll. Skeptic, your post seemed a little mean natured, and obviously uninformed. Are you an AG collector, or just someone dropping in from another board?
    Octavias: Have you tried getting an extra set of hands to help you tighten the head? Sometimes the two people approach works the best!! If you do decide to send the doll in for a head tightening, I think if you just put a note in there and no CC information that would be all they would do and I wouldn't worry to much about it. The only think is you will be out the cost of shipping her there. Good luck!

Shanna

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 12, 2006 12:26 PM: Message edited by: slovejoy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by skeptic:
    You people are crazy. There is not now nor was there ever a "Pre-Mattel" doll. You have all created this little necessity in your heads. The dolls were made in China BEFORE Mattel, mass production is mass production ladies...

The black market that your hysteria/disillusions have created for these DOLLS is quite impressive.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pre-Mattel means it was made before Mattel took over the company from Pleasant Company.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If her head is wobbly, there are two possible causes:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">String is too loose: Undo the knot, tighten the string and retie the knot, or</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not enough stuffing: Untie the string, pull off the head and stuff in some more polyfill stuffing. Put back on the head and retie the string.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If the latter and you don't put in more stuffing, no matter how tight you make the string, her head will still wobble. The amount of stuffing in each doll is a function of the person doing the stuffing and how they feel on the day it is done. Some dolls are wimpily stuffed, while others have the stuffing absolutely packed in. This is an easy fix...

Taffy

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 12, 2006 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You people are crazy. There is not now nor was there ever a "Pre-Mattel" doll. You have all created this little necessity in your heads. The dolls were made in China BEFORE Mattel, mass production is mass production ladies...

The black market that your hysteria/disillusions have created for these DOLLS is quite impressive.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The difference is significant between them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First of all, Pre-Mattel means "before Mattel." So, even if what you said were true (which it most certainly isn't), there would still be Pre-Mattel dolls because they would be the dolls from BEFORE Mattel bought the company. Get it?

Secondly, the materials used to make the AG dolls have definitely changed over the years. When Mattel bought Pleasant Company, the vinyl and eyelashes got harder, the hair changed (especially Felicity's), and the clothing and accessories definitely cheapened.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry,
    guess I should clarify. I have two dolls that I'm talking about, the first is one we bought at Christmas 2005 for my DD, it's the one with the loose head. It is her play doll, we just want the head to be tight so it doesn't keep flopping around.
    The other one is a pre mattel doll, that I bought because it was pre mattel. I would like to try and isolate what year it is from the best I can, and I realize that it isn't worth a great deal of money, not really the point, but being a collector at heart. I love tracking down and discovering the beginnings of a great thing. I believe AG dolls are a great thing, and that the original dolls, will only increase in value and soon be to expensive for me to buy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Octavias:
    Sorry,
    guess I should clarify. I have two dolls that I'm talking about, the first is one we bought at Christmas 2005 for my DD, it's the one with the loose head. It is her play doll, we just want the head to be tight so it doesn't keep flopping around.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">See the instructions above. I suspect it is a lack of stuffing. Polyfill is available at Jo-Anne's and Michael's craft stores in plastic bags. When you stuff it in, make sure you put some on top of her shoulders as that will stop the wobbling...

Taffy

13Pumpkins

Just ignore Skepik, guys......

I would try to tighten it myself, because who wants to see a doll go out for a couple of weeks.... but that's just me.
    [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tks Kit. I know. I really could care less about the troll.

I just wanted to make sure some of the new people that joined lately, did not get the wrong information. Not to say I have everything 100% right. I wish we could tell what year these sweet dears were made.

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

thepidget

Originally posted by MollyGirl:
    I wish we could tell what year these sweet dears were made.

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wish the same. I bet Pleasant Rowland never thought her old white-bodied dolls would become collector's items?
    [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast