Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just FYI--We're still working on pruning our way through all of our old threads, to see which ones we might want to keep.

Joy
    (AGFMB Moderator Team)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Joy!

-megalithanod

Sorry to infringe on your space, but I am from another board here (UNREAL Spawn Message Board), and we have relocated as well. he main reason for our move was due to the vast majority of our community has not been visiting our forum due to access problems outside of "fiasco #2." (as termed by 1Quick1)

We have moved over to a new system where we have more control over out community, and I noticed with your move as well you have mentioned archiving your posts on this board.

May I ask how you are going about it? We have had 3 great years here at hostboard and have just outgrown what is available to be done here. The last "fiasco" was just a kick to us to implement a new methed but aren't really looking forward to loosing the information we hae contributed over here. I am just curious as to what you are doing to see if we could "borrow" your idea on how to handle it.

Right now I have tried screen-scraping all the posts in our forum and using a PERL script to format it in a way I can make a single post of all info in a thread for archive purposes, but would love to think there is a way a db dump could be obtained to convert over into a different db format for achving there.

Thanks in advance, and if this is out of place and not welcome, please delete this post to fit your defined usage of this board.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Megalithanod, sorry to have taken so long to respond to you. We had to decide on how to respond, plus I had to go out of town.

Our main reason for moving was our need to be able to protect ourselves from trolls better than we were able to here.

We haven't decided on a plan yet. There is a lot of information there that we don't want to lose, but we're still deciding on what to do.

Our first step is to prune out as much of the unnecessary or non-useful threads as we can, so that we have less volume to deal with. In the meantime, we will continue to consider what we can do to save the threads that we consider to be more essential. One option is to pay Hostboard $5 a month to keep this space open for us to keep them all here, I think.

I'm sorry that we don't have more helpful information to give you. Best wishes with your transition.

Joy
    (AGFMB Moderator Team)

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ January 09, 2007 02:14 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

-megalithanod

Thanks for getting back on the question Joy (and wasn't worried on the time frame : )

We have transitioned off for some of the same reasons (more control of members, faster load time as we found out the majority of our community stopped visiting regularly due to load times for them being non-stateside). I have a personal ISP hosting plan that I wasn't getting anywhere near decent returns on its use for the main purpose of why it was purchased, so I've installed a discussion board software on it and hosting our new board there. Allows for much greater control as we can customize the code as we desire put needed restrictions on users whose sole purpose in life is to cause heartburn.

I am batting around some ideas on how to maintain our 3 years of posting on this site, and if I can solidify a final method I'd be more than happy to share it with you if you want. The main reason I interjected into this forum and asked the question was to see if you had something worked out with the administrators of this site to pull your information out in some format that it could be imported into the new (not really knowing what your new "home" would allow).

I am sure if HostBoard would do this for either of our communities it would have a cost associated with it, but just curious if that was the way you were moving forward (which it sounds like not for the present time). I am trying to bring over the posts to a possible archive forum where we can all read the former posts, but not interact with them any other way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, we would be glad to have you share with us whatever plan or information you come up with.

Thank you very much.

Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm still pruning.....So if any of you readers want to copy anything, it would be good to do it now. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again, Joy! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're welcome!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If anyone who's here to read the board today has any questions, please feel free to post them. [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]