Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trunks: are they worth the price?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think most of us can agree that all of the trunks are pretty expensive. I was wondering if anybody who has an AG trunk could tell me what they think of them. I found a cheap unfinished trunk at A.C. Moore which I was going to paint for Kirsten, but now I am reconsidering and wondering if I should wait and buy her trunk from AG later. If you've read Kirsten's books, you know that her trunk is a very special and important part of her story.

I am also interested in hearing reviews about the other trunks as well. Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

YES!!!!!YES!!!YES!!!!!!

I have Kit's trunk and love it! It is great quality and has alot of room for alot of stuff!!!!

This is the first day I got it, but now the trunk has MUCH more things in it, then when this album was done.

And DPS.. NO COMMENT!!!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2126191707

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The new white one that holds four dolls looks like it would be a great piece of furniture but the price is scary. Has anyone seen it or have it and what are your thoughts on that one? The pictures of Kit's trunk are great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The trunks are so beautiful and finely made in person. We have Kit's from MCM and had Josefina's from MCM. Kit's is the best IMO because of the fabulous storage. The others are mostly just open space, and it goes against my grain to not have everything neatly in it's own space/compartment [img]redface.gif[/img] which is why we no longer own Josie's trunk.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can give you a review of Samantha's trunk because that is the one I own. I purchased it new a year or two ago, so this will be for the Mattel trunk. I am not sure if there is a difference between this and the pleasant company one. I really enjoy this trunk. It is very nice quality and heavy. It is made of I believe 1/4 inch masonite or hardboard which makes it very sturdy. The drawers are made of the same material. The inside is covered in a burgundy print contact paper. This is very durable and is easy to clean. From some descriptions I have read on eBay, I believe the PC version was lined in paper. The drawers are very roomy and are great for storing shoes, ribbons, and even larger items like Samantha's stereoscope will fit. The bar for hanging clothes is also much larger than most doll trunks. I currently have 12 outfits on hangers hanging in her closet and there is plenty of room. It is not at all stuffed. I have had up to 15 outfits in it, but it was a little too full with that many. I also use the black wire hangers in my trunk because you can fit more outfits that way. The plastic hangers that come with the outfits are a lot thicker. The shelf is great for storing Samantha's hats, and under the shelf is where I put her lunchbox and her valise. I have really enjoyed this trunk and there was never a thing that bothered me about it other than it gets very heavy loaded with all her things.

I also have another trunk that I picked up at a TS for $6. I use it for Nellie's things. This is a steamer style trunk for 18" dolls that is a generic. You can find these trunks on ebay and at other online doll places. This is the kind that comes in burgundy or navy blue and is covered on the inside in a rose pink printed paper. The inside is the same style as samantha's trunk. You can find these trunks new for about half the price of Samantha's trunk. But be warned, it is also about half the quality and can only hold half the outfits Samantha's trunk can. While it looks, similar, this trunk is actually several inches slimmer than the AG version and the hanging bar for clothes is about half the size. It is also made of a thinner cardboard and the drawers tend to get stuck and don't slide in and out easily. Also, there are no corner bumpers on this trunk and the amount of trim is very little comparatively. The ribbon that you can use to tie the doll in is very skinny while the AG trunk has a beautiful thick ribbon. I have also had broblems with the paper interior ripping along the top inside of the trunk from lifting the trunk by the handle.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Samantha's trunk over the generic, even with the price difference. You could also check eBay for a used or second of Samantha's trunk that might be closer in price to the generic. It would definitely be a better buy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have Addy's trunk which is very important to her story & beautifully made. And Josefina's trunk is just gorgeous, sturdy, & in authentic Mexican style. I also agree with what's been said about Kit's trunk.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to ditto the love for Kit's Trunk. It's a little flimsy compared to the wooden ones, but I love the drawers! It fits nicely under my bed, too, so that it's easily accessible without taking up precious space.

That, and it's red and my bedroom's decor is red and pink! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't know if I would have paid $150 for it, though. I got an MCM resell for much less, and I'm very happy with it. It's just like new as far as I can tell.

Do they have the scrapbooking/crafting cubes at your ACMoore? I got one before I got the trunk, one with three drawers, but they also have the ones with baskets. It was $19.99. It is really good, too, for storage.

ETA: In my sig, the white drawers behind me on the right is the cube I'm talking about. I currently keep odds and ends in it, like my design catalogues, my fountain pen and accessories, and stuff like my battery charger and camera. It's very roomy!

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 08, 2006 11:12 AM: Message edited by: keristars ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The target trunk looks great to me, but I'm still too cheap to get one (I keep thinking of how much of a doll that price would buy!).

At the risk of being repetitive, here's a link to my album on making a cheap but functional wardrobe out of a cardboard box--

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2105872345

At the very least, it may tide some people over until Christmas!
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have Kirstens trunk, Molly's Trunk, Felicity's Trunk,and Josefina's trunk and I must say they are my favorite part of their collection; besides them of course. Kirsten's is very pretty and her bed fits inside. All of the trunks are very well made and they fit MOST of the accessories inside. I just have to leave out the dolls desks/nightstand and large hats. I would definitly recommend buying the trunk they are well worth it. My mom who isn't a big AG person loves the trunks and this is why I have so many. I would get them for Christmas. You could ask for the trunk for the holidays.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mybe molly's but what I don't get is the price of smantha's! it costs the same amout as felicity's but it's the same quality as molly's! I really don't get that! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast