Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trunks: are they worth the price?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK - the question is with regards to the quality. All of the trunks are of high quality and I believe they are priced accordingly.

The next question is are they worth the money? It depends on what you are looking for. Are you just looking for a place to organize your dolls things, or are you looking for something that tells you what's inside without even looking? If you just want to store your items a $5 Rubbermaid container will do. If you are looking for a fine piece of furniture that will also be part of the collection, then the trunks are worth it.

I think Samantha's trunk is the same price as Molly's because of the curved top and that requires more workmanship. I agree, they are very similar.

But now Molly's trunk will be the more costly because it's retired.

Does anyone have Felicity's new wardrobe? How much clothes will it hold?

On Molly's new chiffrobe - I wish they had put the clothes bar all the way across.

But as far as quality goes, they are great!

I love that bedside table chest for the dolls' clothes but the price is very high. My husband and I bought a four shelved cabinet from Target, about 50 inches high. He put two clothes bars in and on every other shelf we are putting those cloth drawers. It made a great storage unit for around $50 and it holds more than the AG unit would. I'm very happy. In fact he made 4 of them for me for the basement. Now all I have to do is spend the time organizing.

AG Crazy in Wyoming

I think the AG bedside table / trunk is a nice piece of furniture. I still feel that the built in handles in the side are a bit tacky but the unit itself is very nice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

With the exception of Molly and Samantha, the trunks are large enough to hold the dolls complete collection. Molly and Samantha have so much that they each need two trunks to hold everything.

I prefer the stand up trunks of Samantha and Molly (Molly's has been retired) because of the three drawers. Which are great for holding little items. I also think the clothes do not wrinkle being hung like they do lying flat. But saying that I still love Josefina's, Kirsten's and Kit's trunks. I am hoping for Addy's trunk for Christmas. (Bless my sweet DD.)

[img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure the trunks are all lovely. But, I remember someone once posted here that storing clothes in Kirsten's trunk caused the whites to turn yellow! (I think AG then said that the trunk wasn't meant to store clothes? [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) So if you get Kirsten's trunk, be careful with the clothes you put in...putting them in acid-free tissue paper might keep them safe, but I'm no expert.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    I'm sure the trunks are all lovely. But, I remember someone once posted here that storing clothes in Kirsten's trunk caused the whites to turn yellow! (I think AG then said that the trunk wasn't meant to store clothes? [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) So if you get Kirsten's trunk, be careful with the clothes you put in...putting them in acid-free tissue paper might keep them safe, but I'm no expert.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember hearing that too which is why I don't think I'll get Kirsten's trunk. I also like to have my clothes hanging. I think the new doll storage cabinet/nightstand would be really cool because you could put things for different dolls in it and it has 2 bars for hanging clothes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have Samantha's Pre-Mattel Trunk. It is very sturdy and I think well worth the money. A lot better than other companies trunks that you see on the market.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the advice and pictures!

I guess I wont consider Kirsten's trunk now. I don't want her whites turning yellow! Samantha's trunk here I come... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I bought Samantha's PM trunk first on e-bay. I LOVE it. Then I bought Addy's trunk because I just love the look. It currently serves as an extra bed because my DGD won't put anything up. I prefer the clothes hung on hangers anyway, but I just had to have that piece. It is a beautiful piece of workmanship.

Next I want Josephinas, just because it is so beautiful.

None of the horizontal pieces fit the scale of the furniture collections, but they are such beautiful pieces. The verticle pieces at least look like "closets". I would love to own Felicity's original clothes press, but can't afford it.

Buy what you want! You will love it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have Addy's PM trunk that I picked up at a Thrift store fo 25.00. We actually see it as a piece of furniture in our Family room. I store all of Addy's clothes in it. Right now she is standing beside her trunk. Sometime I put her inside for safe keeping when Caroline has friends over (She is also PM)

Addy's trunk in my opinion is gorgeous and well worth the price

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was so unimpressed when I finally saw Kirsten's trunk in person. The homemade version my dad made me is a million times better. Mine is more spacious, without the divider, and can hold Kirsten's entire collection (or it did before she had to share...). The AG version is made from thin, cheap wood (mine is solid pine), the rosemaling looks like a stencil or decal (mine is handpainted) and it is really tough to fit everything in the trunk and put the lid on. The final assesment: skip AG's version and have someone make you one or buy a wooden trunk and paint it yourself. Grade: B-

I also thought Addy's seemed to be made from very thin wood and the newspapers didn't really look like newspapers at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast