Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm doing my Christmas shopping, and have a question about the Harry Potter Books.

My grandson, who just turned 7, and started first grade this week, has been reading level 4 books all summer. Is he ready for the Harry Potter books, or is he still too young? He's seen some of the movies, with his parents' supervision, and just loved them.
    If he's too young for Harry......can someone recommend some other books he might like?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would think he'd be just fine for the first 2 Harry Potter books. They're quite light, but I'm not so sure about the later ones, they're a bit darker, and more complex. I think if he's seen the later movies (as in 3 and 4), and understood and not been too scared (especially the end of the 4th), the other books might be ok. I would definitely have his parents read 3-6 first, though. They might be ok taking a 7 year old to a PG13 movie, but might want to read the books before handing them over to him [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I'd recommend trying some shorter fantasy books on him first, though, make sure he even likes the genre. The Series of Unfortunate Events, Narnia, first. Maybe maybe some of Diana Wynne Jones' books, too, though aspects of them will go over a 7 year olds head, but probably won't stop him from liking the books.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI,

I have never read the HP books & will not let DD9 watch some parts of the movies (due to the scary factor). She read HP 1 & 2 last year when she was 8, probably closer to 8 1/2. She is a very strong reader (6th grade level in some areas). She loved them & now owns both books. My local librarian said the next books have a darker tone. There are lots of HP fans here so I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction. My DS just turned 6 in June & is reading the Magic Tree House books. They are a little difficult for him & some words he does not understand. Our solution has been for him to read me a few pages each night so I can help him w/ unknown words/definitions. It's great together time & keeps him from getting frustrated.

Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

P.S. Check the school book orders. DD brought her's in (Scholastic) & they had the entire HP set, 6 pb books in slipcase, for $24.95!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 31, 2006 10:37 AM: Message edited by: trvnbrn ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My daughter got the first two movies on video, and previewed them first. Then they watched them as a family. She's done the same thing with Star Wars movies......only he's not allowed to watch#3.
    My 35 year old son watched it, and said a lot of adults would have a hard time with it. I guess it's pretty deep, and definitely not for children.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would wait on the HP books. They aren't equivalent to a level 4 reader. They are written at the level of Harry's age-- 11 for the first, 12 for the second, etc. Even if your grandson can read the first two, he'll quickly reach a place where he can't read them and where the content is for older kids. If you wait a few years he'll get more out of the books and be able to read through the entire series.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I thought Ep3, was a bit much for the bunch of little kids who were in the audience when I saw it.

I'm still surprised at how many parents took their little (as in around 7) kids to see the 4th Harry Potter movie, at midnight on opening day (meaning there was really no way they could have previewed it first). Movie was rated PG13, and really, scared me a bit, lol, and I've read the book at least 15 times.

I agree with MuppetQuilter. Though I know I would have been anxious to read the first 2 at 7, I wouldn't be able to wait on the others, and would have just been confused by the later books. Probably best to pre-screen the movies, and let him watch those, and give him some of the younger kid fantasy books, and let him read HP when he's a bit older.

Though, I really think it depends on the kid. If he's mature enough, he might be able to read them all in one go, but I'd really, really recommend reading them first, or having his parents read them first. Maybe they could all listen to the book on tape (or CD) versions together? Then if he doesn't get something, or is scared, it's easy enough to stop the tape.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 31, 2006 11:01 AM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much, everyone, for the info. This is what I needed. Since he's the oldest grandchild, we're sort of "feeling our way".

He loves to read, and reads in bed every night before he goes to sleep. I didn't want him to be reading something that might give him nightmares.
    He seems to have good comprehension. Even when people are talking, and use a phrase or word he wasn't familiar with, he will ask my daughter what they meant. He questions everything!

emsmombuysdolls

The Harry Potter books are a little harder to read because of their english roots. The characters like Hagrid speak like they do in the movie. That might be a little harder for the readers to grasp who aren't used to it. They are great books to listen to, though [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] The subject matter as far as characters dying and stuff, I really can't tell you if a 7 year old is ready for that. It all depends on the kid and what their parents want for them.

Donna Cotterman

I love Harry Potter but it depends upon the child and their interests.
    May I suggest this set first and see how he enjoys them?
    Bunnicula-in-a-Box: Bunnicula, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, Howliday Inn by James Howe

You can check Bunnicula out at the library and then find out how he enjoys James Howe. Roald Dahl is another author that he might enjoy. (Fractured Fairytales)

My sons were gifted and read by the age of three. BTC was in to Poe by the age of eight so what you need to do is find something that sparks his "scary" interest. Read yourself so you can share... then let him read it. Discuss the book. You will then know his reading, enjoyment and understanding level.
    Once this is established... then ask a library aide or check back ... I do enjoy suggesting books.
    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] ^j^ Mrs.C.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MuppetQuilter:
    I would wait on the HP books. They aren't equivalent to a level 4 reader. They are written at the level of Harry's age-- 11 for the first, 12 for the second, etc. Even if your grandson can read the first two, he'll quickly reach a place where he can't read them and where the content is for older kids. If you wait a few years he'll get more out of the books and be able to read through the entire series.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Muppetquilter,
    I love your thoughts on this and I totally agree!

DS loved the Boxacar Children series when he was that age/reading level. He also enjoyed the Littles series around that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast