Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT.....????? for teachers, students, parents

Polly Marie

I agree with MuppetQuilter that Bunnicula would be a good book to read, especially near Halloween.
    Encyclopedia Brown books get A's also for easy readers. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Encyclopedia Brown would also be a more challenging read than Bunnicula. It's good to have easy reads to build confidence and more challenging reads. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My DD taught herself to read by the time she was 4 and reads far beyond her grade level. But I won't steer her towards the HP books yet, because emotionally she is a very sensitive 7 year old, and simply not ready for some of the themes covered in books like HP or Unfortunate Events...or even Narnia. I know she'll love them eventually, but no need to rush.

Now, Hank the Cowdog is a cute series. It's older, but still available. Definitely Bunnicula...very cute. Geronimo Stilton is easy reading, but fun. DD also liked Einstein Anderson and Bailey School Kids last year. Trying to think of some books that would appeal to a boy here, LOL. Oh, DD just suggested two more series: Andrew Lost and Jigsaw Jones. She said "That's it, Mom, I can't suggest any more, because everything else I like would be too girly." LOL.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 31, 2006 04:03 PM: Message edited by: EleanorofAquitane ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary? These are really fun adventure stories, and about the right reading level, I think. They are also good content for younger readers. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by cami713:
    Yes, I thought Ep3, was a bit much for the bunch of little kids who were in the audience when I saw it.

I'm still surprised at how many parents took their little (as in around 7) kids to see the 4th Harry Potter movie, at midnight on opening day (meaning there was really no way they could have previewed it first). Movie was rated PG13, and really, scared me a bit, lol, and I've read the book at least 15 times.

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ August 31, 2006 11:01 AM: Message edited by: cami713 ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. My sister was only allowed to see it because she had read the books, but she watched it AT HOME with us, not at the theater.

My sister is 8 and has read all the books, but she's an extremely good reader. Most kids that age are probably only ready for books 1-3, maybe having 4 read aloud to them... both on maturity and reading level.

Can't say more than that, or I'll get on my rampage that HP are not children's books. [img]mad.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. There are 5 books in the series starting with The Book of Three. This is where Disney's movie The Black Cauldron comes from, but the books are way better than the movie.

Also anything by Beverly Cleary. The ones Jeanette mentioned or any of the Ribsy ones are great for boys.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series. There are 5 books in the series starting with The Book of Three. This is where Disney's movie The Black Cauldron comes from, but the books are way better than the movie.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL, Anything would be better than the movie [img]wink.gif[/img] .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123