Thread: Found Girl and Adult Felicity Christmas Gown Patterns

*AG Star*

I was at Walmart yesterday, and my sister and I were looking through the pattern books. I came across a girl-sized pattern and an adult-sized pattern which both look exactly like Felicity's Christmas Gown. Here they are: Adult Size and Girl Size.

Just thought I'd let everyone now. I think I'm going to make one for myself!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They're nice but not very accurate. I'm a colonial reenactor so I can direct you to some more historical ones if you'd like. But the ones we use are very challenging for.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The hard part is going to be finding blue taffeta fabric. It used to be everywhere, now it isn't. I have found silk dupponi (sp?) or silk taffeta but they are pretty expensive. If you find any, please let me know where.

Brenda

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have used that pattern for my daughter, she had a blast in Williamsburg wearing the dress. It is a fast pattern to make up too! Go for it! The majority of the world doesn't feel the need to make something like this historically accurate, they wear these outfits for fun, and not often enough to worry about how accurate they are. Believe me, nobody in Williamsburg was even thinking about DD being accurate. They thought she looked adorable. It just isn't worth the effort to use the historical patterns if you are not into recreation.

Have fun with it! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Shelly

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I doubt anyone will mind seeing a little girl running around dressed up even if it is inaccurate. They'll just think it's adorable.

I work the renaissance faire out here though, and I will admit there tends to be quite a bit of fun poked at adults who THINK they're accurate when they're completely wrong.

It's amusing and helps pass the time. But anytime we see a little kid we're just paying attention to how cute they are.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hmm... I think for a costume, that pattern looks great! I actually got the same one to combine with another one to make a more accurate Felicity dress for my niece. Going to a serious reenactment looking farby and thinking you're right isn't cool. Historically accurate patterns can be challenging, but they're not really too bad, and they would be good to try if you decide you want to make more Felicity outfits because they do tend to look a lot better. But, really, a few inaccuracies in a fun costume aren't a big deal. To be honest, when I worked in Philly's historic district, I was never completely accurate (modern glasses and rubber-soled shoes!) but nobody ever got that picky, and nobody nice would pick at a costumed little kid tourist for not being perfectly accurate. Even the girl-sized dresses AG used to sell weren't really always accurate, but they looked good and helped spark imaginations (we have some talented folks on this board who prove that!) and I'll bet your dress is going to look fabulous. Good luck finding the fabric!

Hmm... here's a few websites with fabric, just from a Google search, though I've never bought from them before:

http://laceandfabric.com/gorgeous_ro...d_apparel.html ...this looks perfect if you're comfortable with ordering online
    http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ca...spx?ItmID=L800

This one looks kind of interesting:
    http://www.fabrics.net/swatch/

Also, check ebay!

Man, if you lived near Philly, you could just go right down to Fabric Row off South Street for an amazing selection of all kinds of fabrics...

Here are two patterns for grown-ups from more mainstream pattern companies that also look fabulous, and are cut a bit more accurately:
    Butterick: http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=10013&page=7
    Simplicity 4092 offers a Lissie-like dress that has the more graceful lines closer to an actual Colonial dress. (It's mis-labeled "Victorian" on their website) It has the overskirt that you could shorten and gather (on your own) to make more like Felicity's dress from the movie or leave down to be more like her dress from her books.

(sorry for the long post!)

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 26, 2006 04:47 AM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have used the childs pattern for a Lissie Christmas dress for me. It works very well. It looks exactly like it.

fly-away

I used the one on the right on the bottom for a halloween costume in 5th grade!!