Thread: Traveling Doll Tips/Doll Photography Tips!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert, by any means, but I hope my observations will be helpful to those members here who might want to be a part of a traveling doll program.

First, you decide that one of your girls wants to see the country. What do you do next?

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. Announce it to the Board! Let everyone know which of your girls you are sending out, and ask for volunteers to send you a PM or an email if they are interested in hosting her in their homes. Ask them to let you know if they are planning special activities at specific times (i.e. birthday parties, holiday/ethnic/religious/cultural celebrations, etc.) in which they might like to include your doll. Plan on your doll being gone a month for every two people she visits. When you have enough host families set up (based on how long you want to let your doll be gone from home), organize an itinerary based on the most direct shipping routes (to keep the mailing costs as low as possible for everyone concerned) and the dates of special activities the volunteer hosts have told you about.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2. Packing makes a big difference! Several people expressed concern about damage while shipping. That was also my biggest fear when I sent Lindsey. So I decided to package her up the best I could. First, I made sure she was secure inside her AG box. Then I chose a packing box that was several inches bigger in all directions. I think it was about 24” x 15”. I then lined the packing box with styrofoam, cutting it to fit exactly in the bottom and around all four sides, and another piece to fit in the top. This gave the box extra strength and stability. I put a layer of packing peanuts in on top of the styrofoam liner before placing Lindsey’s box inside, and then surrounded it with peanuts before fitting on the top piece of styrofoam and closing and taping the box. Tape the box closed so that it can be easily cut open and re-taped by the next person, and also tape the address labels to the box where the new addresses can be taped over top. I also marked the box “Fragile” on every side.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3. The carrier you choose makes a difference! My rationale is that the less time the doll is in transit, the less handling the package receives; hence, the less chance there is of damage occurring during shipping. For this reason, I asked that the host person send my doll via US Postal Service Priority Mail. I know it costs a little more than 1st Class Mail or Parcel Post, but the difference in cost compared to the value of the doll makes it worth it, in my opinion. Also, I’m not crazy about shipping via UPS, which takes a longer time to arrive. I’ve also had some not-so-good experiences with UPS: packages just left sitting out somewhere and packages arriving pretty banged up. In fact, the two times that Lindsey’s box was damaged and needed replacing while on her trip, were both after UPS shipping!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4. Be sure to get shipping insurance! Figure the cost of the doll (don’t forget the clothing and other items inside the box!) and ask for that much insurance. It should be right about $2.00 for up to $150 worth of insurance from the Post Office, and unless you are shipping a Lindsey doll, the contents shouldn’t be worth more than that.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">5. Don’t ship items that you cannot replace! That seems so logical, yet we sometimes don’t think about the possibility of being unable to replace retired items or those that are especially handmade.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">6. Don’t send too many things with your doll! More stuff in the box adds to the shipping costs. Send pj’s or nightgown, play clothes, and something dressy. Put each outfit in a zip bag along with a list of everything that is included with the outfit – don’t forget to list shoes, socks, underwear, and hair accessories. Add a favorite blanket or plaything if you want and if it is small and lightweight. One thing I didn’t send that I wish I had, is a small journal or scrapbook, where the host person can record what your doll does at each home she visits. Introduce your doll (her likes, personality traits, etc.) in the front of her journal. Also, pictures, postcards, ticket stubs, etc. can be put into these journals, making them much like Samantha’s, Kit’s, and Molly’s travel adventure books.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">7. Help protect the privacy of your host families! Please do not send a list of all the hosts and their addresses in the box with your doll. You should keep a master list of all the names and addresses and keep track of where your doll is. When each host has had your doll for about a week, send to that host, the name and address of the person she will be sending the box to next.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, now what if you are going to host a doll? What do you do with her?

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. Look at your home, your community, your city, and your state from the viewpoint of someone who has never seen it before! What things are unique to the way you live, the place you live and your ethnic/cultural background? When you have come up with answers, come up with a plan to have the visiting doll discover those unique things, and photograph her discoveries. On the backs of photos, in online albums, and in the traveling doll’s journal, describe the places you go and things you see, and tell what is unique about them.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2. Involve your family! Let the visiting doll accompany your family members to athletic events, plays, concerts, competitions, school, and yes, even doctor or dentist appointments. Have tea parties, picnics, and family outings and take several dolls along. Let your children play with the dolls indoors and out, in various settings. And be sure to take lots of pictures!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3. Keep a record of what you do! Keep her journal up-to-date; and even if the traveling doll does not come to your house with a journal, you can make journal pages chronicling her activities in your home and with your family. These pages will become a precious keepsake record to the “Mom” of your visitor and the rest of her family as well.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4. Pick a souvenir to send with your visitor as she goes on to her next stop! Choose something that will be a reminder of your family and the things you did and saw with the traveling doll when she was visiting your home. Souvenirs can be purchased or hand made. Post cards are also good. Just don’t go overboard; remember that you are not in competition with the other hosts to see who can choose the “best” souvenir to send home! Keep it simple and lightweight, as whatever you choose will have to be packed in the box with the visiting doll and mailed along with her for the rest of her trip.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">5. Keep the traveling doll’s Mom informed about what you are doing! Let her know immediately that her doll has arrived at your home. Tell her how great her girl looks and in what condition the packing box arrived. Everyone misses their kids and worries about them when they are away from home. Keeping the “Mom” back home updated about where her child is and what she is doing and seeing with you and your family helps lessen the anxiety, and lets her share the experiences her child is having. Try to think about what you would like to know if one of your girls was having this particular experience.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">6. Don’t keep her too long! Remember that other families are waiting for their turn to have the traveler come to their house, and send her on in a timely manner. Make sure the traveling box is in good condition and is well packed before you take it to the post office. Be sure to let both the doll’s Mom and the next host person know that the box has been shipped and on what day you shipped it.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, that’s what I have learned so far about sending a doll out on a travel adventure. I hope it is helpful to others who might participate in the experience. If anyone else who has either sent or hosted a traveling doll would like to post further comments, please do. We can all learn from each other’s experiences!

Edited to add a very important Addendum concerning the participation of our teenage members in the traveling dolls program!

If you are sending one of your girls traveling and one of our terrific teenage members wants to be a host:</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please make sure you contact the parents of the girl wanting to participate! This could become a legal issue, since we are including minors here. Make sure that you explain to the parents exactly what will be involved with hosting a doll. Include information about who you are, shipping your doll (how you want the doll packaged and sent and how much it will cost), picture taking, the length of time her daughter will keep your doll, and anything else you want your host families to know. Remember that the parents of this girl most likely don't read this board on a regular basis and might not know much about our traveling doll program. Make sure you get permission in an email (a letter with a signature would be even better), for their daughter to participate and especially get permission to give their address to the person who will be sending your doll to their daughter.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are a teenage girl wanting to participate in hosting a traveling doll:</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please make sure you have your parents' permission to be a host before you volunteer! Explain to them just what the traveling doll program is. It might be a good idea to print up this thread about traveling doll tips and have them read it so they know what they are agreeing to do. Tell them all you know about the person sending out the doll you want to host, and ask them to send an email to the doll's Mom asking for more information. Remember that your parents will want to do everything they can to make sure that you are protected - the internet can be a scary place!</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#41356F"><font size="1">[ April 19, 2004 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 27, 2006 10:59 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Candie D:
    Do you pay for the shipping each time the doll is mailed to the next host or does each host pay for that? How much does it normally cost when you ship? Any thoughts on international traveling dolls and shipping?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Each host pays shipping to the next host. The cost depends on the weight of the box and where it is going to. One doll, doll sized box and a few light souveniers to CT cost a bit more than $9 with insurance and delivery confirmation. A doll, a larger box and more souveniers cost about $13 to send to PA with insurance. Sail Away would be the one to talk to about international rates.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Felicity_Fan85:
    How many people send out dolls they bought directly from AG as opposed fixer uppers?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the majority of people who send traveling dolls out bought the dolls directly from AG...at least most of the dolls I've hosted. My own travel doll was bought directly from AG, too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since there has been at least one case I've seen of a lost traveling doll, I would recommend that her and all of her items be photgraphed when she arrives at each location. I received Traveling Ann (formerly known as Ruthie) and I photographed everything that came in her box, just in case something happened between here and her next stop (home).
    Here is the album I made: Travelling Anya's Belogings

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I moved Jeanette's doll photography tips here, so that they won't get lost....

Jeanette M.

posted August 25, 2006 06:00 PM

This thread is in response to questions asked from new board members about how to get good dolly pictures and make interesting albums. Here are some things I have learned from my own experiences. Hopefully, all of our great doll photographers here will add their own ideas.

One of the best tips I can give is to have your pictures showing the girls participating in some kind of action/reaction.
    Some examples:

* If you are taking a picture of one of the dolls showing off her new school desk, start with having her sitting at the desk - then raise one of her arms in the air, put another doll as a teacher in front of her, have the two dolls look at each other, and have the teacher be pointing at the doll who has her hand raised.
    * If two dolls are having a conversation with each other, turn their bodies somewat towards each other, and have them look at each others' eyes; let them be gesturing with their hands, instead of having their hands just hanging at their sides; maybe let one doll be holding something she could be telling the other doll about; or have one doll be touching the other on the arm.
    * If two dolls are playing soccer or baseball, turn their eyes toward the ball or the place the ball will be coming from or going to; have them be "moving" into the position to kick or throw the ball; put their non-throwing/kicking arms and legs in the positions a "real" person would be in if they were doing that same action; and always be sure their bodies are turned in the correctly alligned position for whatever they are doing.
    * If your doll is interacting with an animal, again have her eyes turned to the animal's face and her body angled toward the animal; have her be petting or somehow touching the animal; or have the animal's face touching her face and the dolly's arms up in the air in surprise.
    * Always imagine that your dollies are looking at something instead of just staring off into space, and turn their heads and their bodies accordingly, trying to have them posed as naturally as possible.

Other general tips:

* Use props - they can set a mood or add to the sense of action. I use lots of clear elastic bands, or white or pink silly putty to help my girls hold things. Props can help show action, or just add a sense of reality to the picture.
    * Take way more pictures than you think you will use, and take shots of the same scene from all different angles and using different lighting - including lowlight with a candle (or a scooter headlight!). Even try turning your camera at a slight angle in one direction or another. When Jack and I took Fia and Susan and the horses up the canyon last weekend, we took over 200 pictures - of which I will probably use only 10-15 in Fia's album.
    * Watch what is in the background of your photos. Too much "stuff" or a busy fabric pattern can take away from the action or the mood of the scene you are setting with your girls. On the other hand, using trees, plants, flowers, pictures, mirrors, etc. placed in the right places can add to the flavor of your shot.
    * Don't be afraid to take close-up shots. Use your camera's setting for close-ups so you don't end up with blurry photos, or stand back and use your camera's zoom feature to get in close.
    * Use some kind of photo editing tools to tweak your photos a little if they are not just what you want. I often use the Edit feature on ImageStation to crop out unwanted background and to brighten or add contrast to my album photos.

About albums, I usually start with some idea of what I want to do and take tons of photos of what I think might implement or add to it. With my Independence Day Parade album, I started with the idea of including all my girls, having some participants and some spectators, having a float and decorated bikes, and having a Parade broadcast announcer. Then I took tons of photos as we set up and after the set-up was completed, from every conceivable angle (and yes, I was even on my belly, propped up on my elbows on the sidewalk to take some shots), trying to make each picture tell a little mini-story. Then came the long but exciting task of going through the pictures over and over again to begin the elimination process. I find as I go through the photos I have taken, that they often (because of the action in the shots) tell a story of their own - I just try to find the words to tell the story of the pictures, and place them in the right order to help the story make sense.