Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't really have the funds for a brand new AG at the moment. Lately at a certain online auctionhouse we all know and love, I've been looking at some beautiful pre-loved AGs. Suddenly out of nowhere, I think that Joanie and Felicity might like an unscheduled sister! [img]confused.gif[/img] Previously they were focused in on wanting to add Jess to the family, and I'd still love to get her, but other dollies are calling to me! The lure of "rescuing" them might cost me unscheduled amounts of money, LOL! I'm such a sucker for dolls that need a good home. Do you ever have this problem with the lower prices combined with "rescue" factor?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just bought a Fixer-upper on ebay a couple days ago. Since I rescued Molly I have been itching to do my next dolly makeover. It's addicting! I just love taking that sad forgotten pile of muslin and vinyl and turning her back into her previous beautiful condition. In short, I like making them loveable again! I used to do this with CPKs I found at GSs, and now I'm learning a whole new set of restoration skills with AGs. It's so rewarding. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

~Dee

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really love fixer-uppers too. I like the rescue aspect plus we seem to bond during the whole cleaning, restringing, rewigging, process. My main complaint with ebay dolls has been their hair but with great wig prices it's an easy fix. Sometimes I do end up spending as much as a new doll (mainly if she is historical and needs her own clothes) but I think of it as a payment plan since I can spread out the expenses. I think you will find it fun and addicting! Go for it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just remember that if you don't buhy Jess now, you might end up paying more later...
    Sarah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got a real problem with buying used dolls but it hasn't really saved me any money. I know people get them in the 30.00 range but mine all seem to close at around 60 so it's not really a bargain. And i've had the worst ebay luck lately. Recently i paid for 3 items that just never came. There seems to be a lot of dishonest sellers out there and i'm trying to curb my ebay addiction.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely--but be sure to add in the cost of shipping to the total price--in some cases, you could wind up paying MORE for a used doll than a brand-new one! Sometimes, it can be worth it, as in the case of a like-new condition collector-type PM doll-- it all depends on what you're looking for. (I have eleven ebay dolls, ranging from "like-new" to "nearly lost-cause" condition at the time of purchase.)

I NEVER bid on anything that doesn't disclose the shipping cost before the auction ends, or if the seller doesn't answer questions satisfactorily, or doesn't respond at all. I also don't bid on auctions that show only catalog pictures--I like to see pictures of the actual item I'm considering.

"Rescue" instincts are all very commendable, but online, remember it's "buyer beware", as well! [img]smile.gif[/img]

13Pumpkins

Used dolls do sort of get me. I'd rather buy a PM that needs some love then a Mattel if its a historical.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most of our dolls (my DD and mine) have been used dolls from ebay. We have had extremely good luck and have gotten some really wonderful special dolls. I agree that they are sometimes not a huge deal (usually around $60) but most have been PM dolls or come with retired outfits. - Meg B.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't find that you save much on a used doll and I usually find that I am disappointed when the doll arrives. I try now to only get PM ones from HB members that I know and trust.

Make sure you add up all the costs first - a doll in great need of TLC can end up costing way more than the Jess you are wanting!